Response needed: Lisbon 2016

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the boarding cards from Vienna airport get put into the bin and the passports are back in that secret drawer in the spare bedroom for another few months, it's time to announce the location of next year's Challenge.

As before, a list was compiled of locations suggested by attendees at this year's event and votes were cast at the dinner. There were a wide variety of suggestions, over at least three continents (!), but a clear winner emerged.

When looking at a map of where we have been over the years, it is clear that south-west Europe has been ignored for too long. If I recall correctly, second and third places in the voting also went to locations in the south-west.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So, I am pleased to announce that the One Challenge 2016 will be held in

Lisbon on Saturday 15th October 2016.

We had a great turn out for this year's Challenge, with 27 people putting their 10 Euro into the prize fund and I am looking forward to seeing everyone's entries over the next couple of weeks. Here's hoping that we may even see a bit more sunshine when we visit Portugal next year.

More details much closer to the time of course.

• Like 5

I would like to suggest a new way of choosing the location.

Still only the people attending get to choose and vote, but a multi round process.

How about first choosing a list of cities or towns that we will vote on and listing them all before the first vote (by the time the voting card got to me, there were only 3 people left to vote), so pointless to add a new city to the list.

Then have one or two rounds of voting. The reason is that the city running a close second to Lisbon, is one that I would not have found interesting to visit, but there was a 3rd choice that I would have preferred to the winning city. Voting by tactics to deselect a city you dont want to visit does not generate warmth for the choice you do vote for.

If you get what I mean.

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1

I seem to remember that the book was passed round twice. The first time to add any cities you wanted and then the second time for actual voting. The first time it came round was early in the evening and so if you came later you may have missed it.

Anyway, it was good seeing you again and hopefully we'll meet up again in Lisbon.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

If you get what I mean.

Not really... with respect!  :)

I have tried to make it as fair as possible, and we did change things this year following a very helpful suggestion from Christoph.

Maybe what we need to do is put together the list of candidates, as we did this year.

I will bring 40+ sheets of paper on which I write all of the candidates, then everyone gets a secret vote, to be collated at the end of the evening, so that they don't know who else has been voting for what and in what numbers. Would you like a single transferable vote so that you vote for your top three, then if one location doesn't get an outright 50% in the first ballot, we then add the second choice votes. Could be a long night!

Maybe I will learn to write an App...

I am very happy with Lisbon, no matter what I 've had suggested on the sheet by the way.

The chance of good light is very good, the temperature could be quite warm and all pictures I have seen by now from this town have been very promising.

I really hope I will make it again to join this great challenge next year.

• Like 1

I think the procedure was very fair and above board. I don't think we have to apply the same rigid standards that are called for in political elections.

Lisbon is one of the cities my wife and I have had on our wish list for some time.

• Like 1

It sounds like Ravi might have missed the book first time around, when we had the chance to nominate a location, and only saw it on the second round when we voted for our preferred choice (correct Ravi?). 

I think the system this year is about as fair and uncomplicated as it can get.

FWIW I didn't vote for the place I nominated, as it wasn't very popular (!) and used my vote for the place that I would prefer from the most popular few. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry if you missed the book coming round the first time, Ravi. Now that I know that, your first post above makes a lot more sense.

Without making the the voting a secret ballot, which my admittedly slightly sarcastic post above suggested, I'm struggling to think how we could do this differently. We could have a show of hands, on a previously agreed list, but I don't think that's necessarily appropriate in a public place such as a restaurant or a bar.

Although we have changed the voting procedure over the years, the outcome has always been a great weekend with friends in an interesting city, and that's what it's all about really.

If you do have any ideas, they would be very welcome.

And just for the record, I generally don't vote 

• Like 1

Some people asked me where I and my significant other stayed in Lisbon last summer:

http://www.lxboutiquehotel.com

We truly enjoyed it. IIRC we paid appr. € 125/night for a double bed in high season. It is close to everything on foot.  Shopping, old town, river, tram, train, restaurants.  Plenty of parking available in nearby parkings and on the square 50 meters from the hotel. Valet parking is also offered. The hotel has a very popular restaurant in house, available for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I think it is one of the most popular restaurants in Lisbon currently. We have not had dinner there, but breakfast was good. I think they should be able to cater for a group the size we had in Vienna.

If by car, don't forget to go out of the city as well: Belem, Cascais (can both easily be reached by a short train ride as well) and Sintra.

• Like 7

As there was a first round of people adding their preferences before a vote, the system is fine and fair. If i was at the bathroom, then my fault for missing it. Keep it as it is. As i said, i think all the choices so far have been good ones.

• Like 3

It is very good.  Nice people, excellent dinner.  You may also consider Eleven.  Eleven has great views over the city and I enjoyed even more than Belcanto.

I cannot see the word or number "Eleven" without thinking of 2 Scottish men in a lift :)  An Oldie but a Goldie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjO1BXzZLpE

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 7