Response needed: Lisbon 2016

andybarton

Anyone thought any more about the idea of suggesting of a hotel? I think it would be good to give people the choice of staying in the same hotel; also we may be able to negotiate a discounted rate.

We will be going but most likely by road. We're off to the States on Saturday and back towards the end of January, will give it some more thought when we get back.

Trust everyone had a great Christmas and that the New Year will be a happy and healthy one for all.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

On Friday Jan, 1st 2016 14:06h GMT+1 there's a german-language Lisboa documentation on 3sat TV with the title "Lissabon - Die Stadt des Fado und des Lichts",

More information is available on 3sat Webpage. Not sure, if internet streaming is available for all countries. 

Have a great 2016!

Cheers,

Carsten

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I'm going to break precedent here and go against the forces of nature. For some time now I have been battling health and financial hurdles which theoretically should restrict my lifestyle. Despite that I have committed to the Lisbon One Challenge, as well as the Challenge of Life! I have confirmed flights to Lisbon (and beyond). This definitely is the earliest I have EVER booked and committed! The point is, I need a goal into the future. It's not the first time for me so I know it works.

Relax all you hotshots, I'm not out to beat you, I just want to get there, and I will. I've include Spain and Morocco in the Portugal itinerary.

I feel better already. :)

• Like 11

I am going to have to fly in on the Saturday morning, which is a pain.

And if anyone knows a good way to get to Athens from Lisbon, on the Sunday, I would be very pleased to hear of it :)

I fear that two very early mornings will be required.

Just booked my flights which is a bit risky as I've not checked for certain that I can take the time off work! Out Wednesday back Sunday. I was thinking of doing Fri-Sun to keep costs down as the flight times would have been OK but I need to scout the place out for my challenge photo!

Bloody hell.

Just checked BA for flights on the Sat am. >£200 each. ONE WAY!!

It would (almost) be cheaper to fly to Oz!

Seriously, that fare is probably because of being one way. Consult a travel agent who can possibly arrange a 'round trip', with the one carrier but stopping at the destinations of your choice. Even allowing for 'break of journey' to accommodate land travel content. That way you avoid the one way fare. Worth a try.

I am doing Spain, Portugal and Morocco as a return trip, arriving Barcelona and returning from Casablanca. Got a very good price by using an agent.

• Like 1

The serious suggestion is that it will be May 2017. The Australasian One Challenge, following on, Bi-biennially from the inaugural Asian One Challenge in Kyoto 2015.

Locations are already being scouted with itinerary ideas being considered (I'm told ;) ).

• Like 5

Bloody hell.

Just checked BA for flights on the Sat am. >£200 each. ONE WAY!!

If you can get away Friday afternoon Monarch have flights from Manchester for £60. 

I've booked easy jet outward and TAP for the return - best combination of times/prices. Now to find accom. 

Things have changed in the office, so I am now able to get down on the Thursday, leaving on the Sunday, which is much better of course.

Have booked and cancelled about 20 hotels, but have settled on one.

Will book flights to Lisbon when this month's Avios turn up in a few weeks.

The serious suggestion is that it will be May 2017. The Australasian One Challenge, following on, Bi-biennially from the inaugural Asian One Challenge in Kyoto 2015.

Locations are already being scouted with itinerary ideas being considered (I'm told ;) ).

I already told my office they should not get any ideas for May 2017... :)

Stefan

• Like 4

I am coming on Thursday and leaving on Monday afternoon.

Hotels:

Which area are people staying in? I have a cancellable booking at the Hilton double Tree (€556 for 4 nights) but I think it is in the business area.

Corinthia is a cheap 5* hotel but my last experience in Prague with them was not good (heating system did not work and the room was set to 18C) and the sink leaked but nothing got fixed.