27" iMac Display

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a new iMac 27" Retina a week and a half ago...I have until tomorrow to get a refund and then order the i7 I was originally going to buy, and with Apple announcing possible new iMacs on Thursday, it's very tempting to take it back to the Apple Store, order a new i7 version and then change the order to the new iMac if one is announced...However, I don't know whether the i7 processor will give me any real world advantages over the i5....

There is another similarly priced option that would give real world advantages over an iMac - a Mac mini teamed with an Eizo monitor.

I've always liked the concept of the iMac, but they're plagued by the consistent awfulness of their monitors for image editing (they have the wow factor for everything else). None of the minis are particularly powerful, but they'll certainly save editing time when coupled to a well calibrated monitor, even if individual PS actions take fractionally longer. Until a couple of years ago the Eizo ColorEdge monitors were very expensive, but they're now surprisingly affordable:

http://gb.colorconfidence.com/monitor-ranges.html

If you often need to use your monitor for display purposes, there are also dedicated carrying cases available for the Eizos.

NEC Spectraviews are also very good, but they need a touch more colour management geekery to set up than a ColorEdge.

Edited by almoore
  • Like 1