27" iMac Display

Rick

Jeff,

Once again, I'm looking for a review of the new display.  Not speculation or opinion based on the previous display or reviews about it.  

You made the statement that the Eizo was better based on snippets of reviews you read and you stated you would provide a link to a review.  Your link was to an old review of the previous display.  These reviews don't have a lot to do with the newer design of the Apple iMac 27 5K.

I'm not sure why you are trying to derail this thread with your opinion about a display you haven't seen or read a review about.  I respect your opinion and understand the shortcomings of the older Apple displays and that is why I bought separate 27" Samsung graphics displays and ran them side by side until they died.

I'm just trying to find a review or some information about this new display.  I have a pretty good idea that the new Apple won't be as good as a dedicated graphics display, but 5K offers some distinct advantages and there is a point of diminishing return when trying to reproduce EPC output.  As Zalatkob, who I have come to respect very much as well, stated, he likes his older iMac.  I'm sure this new 5k display and the performance of the whole system will be quite good.  I'd just like to learn more about this new iMac display. 

Rick

Edited by Rick

I thought the review I linked was to the new machine that you were considering, but you made it abundantly clear after my link that another new display was imminent.  Since that time, I've read as much as I could about the new display (to try to help you....I couldn't care less for my needs).  In doing so, I failed to find evidence that certain factors I would deem important would be changed, notably the issue of hardware calibration control and flexibility that an iMac would offer.   One would surely expect Apple to note any such significant change in approach.  

I further took my time to give you my long term experience regarding NEC display stability and reliability, which I think is important in any product review, but which no early review of the new Apple display could possibly note at this point.  Again, this was meant to give you some helpful food for thought when considering alternatives.

The only question in your first post related to color gamut and whether it's sufficient for 'photography'.  Shame on me for trying to address that and to further expand on other factors I and others deem important.

The fact that you not only stress that I didn't help you, but that you think I'm trying to derail the thread, is appalling to me.  

It appears your mind is mostly made up anyway, so enjoy.  Good luck....I won't ever bother again.  I've gotten boatloads of thanks over the years, including many personal PM's, from folks who have appreciated and benefitted from my experience and comments in the digital PP section.  

Jeff

• Like 2

Steve, as I stated I appreciate and respect your opinion.  Your opinion and others here is what steered me away from Apple monitors over the past several years.  It has been the opinion of most on this forum that Apple displays lack the advantages you ave been stating and this is why I purchased two matching 27" graphics monitors in the past.  

I'm sorry if you took my my posts you the way you did, maybe I'm not vey good at expressing my frustration that I already understand the advantages NEC and Eizo and other graphics grade displays.  I really just thought you were not getting that I was looking for information on the new iMac.

Rick

I spoke to apple yesterday regarding the new iMacs 

my understanding is that all the iMacs now have the 5k display and it has not been changed in spec.

however the original 27ins 5K model has been upgraded in the following.

Hard drive is now 2 TB fusion previous 1TB fusion. 3TB in an option

upgrade from i5 to i7 processor is an option

new keyboard with built in rechargeable battery

new mouse with rechargeable battery

I think the graphic card has been changed.?

the price stays the same £1850 or thereabouts . Depends on what you can negotiate.They do move a little on price.

I have decided to visit a company called colour confidence in Birmingham and look a NEC and Eizo . In the meantime the Mac Pro is overdue an upgrade.

Before I buy anything I would like to see an iMac side by side with NEC and Eizo monitor.

i hope I have not confused this issue.

BrianP

I spoke to apple yesterday regarding the new iMacs 

my understanding is that all the iMacs now have the 5k display and it has not been changed in spec.

Not true. Your source was mistaken and should have told you that all iMacs now have Retina displays.

The 21.5-inch iMac still has a 4K display.  

Further, your source should have told you that both the 21.5 and the 27 inch displays are reported by Apple to have been updated.  They both also include improved rad and green phosphors in the LED allowing for full DCI_P3 color space.  That's 25% more gamut than standard sRGB displays.  Previously Apple displays used white LEDs.

So, once again I'm wondering if these new displays in iMacs are getting close to NEC and Eizo displays.  But, it appears there just isn't any info out on the net yet about these new displays in the new iMacs.

Rick

I can not see tying the monitor to the computer.   

I bought the old Mac Pro and 27' Eizo and I love it.   

How about a Mac Pro and Eizo?

That is what I have used previously, sort of.  But, the Mac Pro is getting long in the tooth and is in need of an upgrade.  Not to mention it is expensive.  I'd like to get a new updated computer that is faster than the older Mac Pro (not the new one) and has a decent display.  The iMac has plenty of processing power, but is this new iMac going to have a decent display?

Rick

Not true. Your source was mistaken and should have told you that all iMacs now have Retina displays.

The 21.5-inch iMac still has a 4K display.  

Further, your source should have told you that both the 21.5 and the 27 inch displays are reported by Apple to have been updated.  They both also include improved rad and green phosphors in the LED allowing for full DCI_P3 color space.  That's 25% more gamut than standard sRGB displays.  Previously Apple displays used white LEDs.

So, once again I'm wondering if these new displays in iMacs are getting close to NEC and Eizo displays.  But, it appears there just isn't any info out on the net yet about these new displays in the new iMacs.

Rick

While I do not disagree with you it appears that the apple salespeople are not up to speed which I find strange. Also the quotation I have been given is not correct in respect of telling me the 27ins 5k display has not been changed.

brianp

Edited by Guest

While I do not disagree with you it appears that the apple salespeople are not up to speed which I find strange. Also the quotation I have been given is not correct in respect of telling me the 27ins 5k display has not been changed.

brianp

Hi Brian,

I got the information off the Apple site.  They state what I mentioned to you and they talk about the new LED backlight with the red and green phosphors (not the old white) and how it is so much better for gamut and color rendition.  I have no idea how that translates to reality.

Rick

Hi Brian,

I got the information off the Apple site.  They state what I mentioned to you and they talk about the new LED backlight with the red and green phosphors (not the old white) and how it is so much better for gamut and color rendition.  I have no idea how that translates to reality.

Rick

Hi Rick, I noticed that as well.  We'll see how that plays out.  My assumption, it will get discussed soon on macrumors.com.

• Like 1

There is one particular one to one trainer in the Manchester UK store who is a semi pro photographer and generally very honest. I will be in Manchester later this week and will try and get hold of him. I will post any info I find out.

The sooner I get to the bottom of this the sooner I can place an order. 

Brianp

Of course the new display will have better specs....wider gamut, etc.  It will turn an already fine display into a better one, and that will bring it closer to (or maybe better) than even Eizo in those aspects.  So, if that's the criteria for purchase, it will be a no-brainer.

But I keep mentioning, to no avail apparently, possible real world limitations affecting earlier models....reflective surface, lack of hardware calibration, lack of uniform brightness, etc....which SOME photographers deem important.  Maybe Apple will address those issues, maybe not....we'll see.

FWIW, here's a recent LuLa review on an Eizo that reiterates my issues....  https://luminous-landscape.com/eizo-cg318-4k-review-the-cutting-edge-of-high-end-graphic-displays/

Any of these displays are fine for photography....and better than most....people got by with a lot less for years.  But whether one or the other is best for one's personal applications is up to the user, not a review.

Jeff 

Luminous landscape on reflective iMac displays:

Not to dish out on the 5k iMac too much (I own one of these in my second study area that I use for general internet browsing and email) but its mirror-like display is also a very poor match for making fine art prints, even if the marginal restricted gamut were deemed acceptable. In fact, the first thing you notice about the 5k iMac screen when you sit down in front of it is whatever is directly behind you because it is so reflective. This makes it a very poor choice for high end graphics applications and fine art printing.

https://luminous-landscape.com/eizo-cg318-4k-review-the-cutting-edge-of-high-end-graphic-displays/

Elmar

Luminous landscape on reflective iMac displays:

Not to dish out on the 5k iMac too much (I own one of these in my second study area that I use for general internet browsing and email) but its mirror-like display is also a very poor match for making fine art prints, even if the marginal restricted gamut were deemed acceptable. In fact, the first thing you notice about the 5k iMac screen when you sit down in front of it is whatever is directly behind you because it is so reflective. This makes it a very poor choice for high end graphics applications and fine art printing.

https://luminous-landscape.com/eizo-cg318-4k-review-the-cutting-edge-of-high-end-graphic-displays/

Elmar

Already linked in my post above.

Jeff