27" iMac Display

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about buying a new computer.  My Samsung monitors both bit the dust.  I am thinking about getting a new iMac 27".  With 5K and 27", I would think that the new technology in these displays would have large enough color gamut as to be comparable to an Eizo or the likes.  I'm pretty sure videographers would do fine with the new 27" iMac display (designed for video).  Am I correct in believing that for photography there would not be much that would be out of gamut to make much difference?

Rick

I am in a similar position in that I have been comparing various Eizo monitors and the 5k iMac which incidentally has been given a face lift by Apple today. Which ever monitor you / we have it is very important that it is calibrated regularly. The thing that puts me off the Eizo or pos NEC is which computer. Frankly I don't fancy a mini Mac and am not desperate to buy a Mac Pro. Out of interest I calibrated my existing 27ins iMac the other day with the x rite I one pro device and I am seeing a colour gamut far better than I achieved with a colourmunki I was using previously. The can of worms has got even bigger.

BrianP

Computer aside (MacPro vs Imac, etc....another discussion), difference in monitors depends of course on one's needs and standards.  For my printing needs, color gamut is one issue, but just as important for me are issues like calibration methods, uniformity across screen, ability to control contrast ratio, reflections/glare, etc.    I still think Eizo and NEC are at the top of the heap in these regards (based on my readings....I have no personal experience with the iMac), but whether the differences are important for a given need is subject to user judgment.  

I use a 6 year old NEC (with a MacPro desktop) and, when the monitor wears down, I'll look again at NEC and Eizo.

Jeff

• Like 2

@Brian Yes, the new 5K monitor looks like it is going to be a step up from the old 4k and 5k monitors.  I know that 5K monitors look fantastic next to standard monitors and next to 4K monitors.  I understand the new 5K uses a different back light panel and is able to deliver P-3 based color gamut.  This is a different color space than Adobe RGB and it is used as a cinema standard.  But, it is a color space that is comparable in size to  Adobe RGB.  It streches further into the red and less so into the green.  Apple claims 99% output of the DCI P-3 color space and Eizo claims 98%.  I imagine these displays will be very similar in gamut.

@Jeff I understand there exist other qualities for displays.  I wonder how much better the 5K monitor from Apple is going to be in the areas you mentioned with a new design of the back lit LED?  My Samsung graphics displays did a great job and printing to a large format printer produced fantastic and fairly accurate reproduction of what was on the screen.  

The computing power of the processor and the graphics card along with the new drive and memory should make this iMac darn fast for photography and large PS layered files I would imagine.  

Edited by Rick

For Jeff, and myself, who use a MacPro, it doesn't matter what the iMac screen is like because Apple has chosen to continue offering the ancient Thunderbolt monitor as their only monitor that works with a MacPro.  The iMac is not a monitor and can no longer be driven by an external computer.  I gave up waiting for Apple and bought an Eizo CX271.  I'm completely happy with the Eizo.  Hopefully Apple, the world's largest capitalized company, will turn its attention to the MacPro do some updates for its users.  I has been two years now.

@Jeff I understand there exist other qualities for displays.  I wonder how much better the 5K monitor from Apple is going to be in the areas you mentioned with a new design of the back lit LED?  My Samsung graphics displays did a great job and printing to a large format printer produced fantastic and fairly accurate reproduction of what was on the screen.  

The computing power of the processor and the graphics card along with the new drive and memory should make this iMac darn fast for photography and large PS layered files I would imagine.  

Various reviews of the iMac display suggest otherwise, including reference to the back lit screen....the Eizo specs are superior in various respects.  But as I wrote, that doesn't mean that the iMac wouldn't serve your needs just fine; we're discussing some very nice products.

My MacPro, by the way, is also six years old, like my monitor.   I'm not sure what I'll do if my Mac craps out.  Apple is spending too much time focusing on mobile products these days, not on desktop issues, nor on various things they used to excel in compared to Windows products, e.g., color management, graphics, etc.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Could you post the review of the new Apple 5K iMac display compared to the superior Eizo specs?  I'd haven't found a review yet on this.

Thanks

This comes from snippets in various reviews I've seen, not any single head to head discussion.  I've got a busy day, but if I get time later I'll try to find an example or two.

Jeff

I have a late-2014 27" 5K iMac and it's excellent for my photography.  (Have never tried the Eizo.)  The screen is glossy, but that's perfectly fine as long as you don't have a sunny window or bright lights behind you.

• Like 1

This comes from snippets in various reviews I've seen, not any single head to head discussion.  I've got a busy day, but if I get time later I'll try to find an example or two.

Jeff

Thanks, I look forward to reading some reviews.  I haven't read anything about this one yet.  Apple is pretty good at keeping new products secret until the release.  I haven't found a hands-on review yet.

Thanks, I look forward to reading some reviews.  I haven't read anything about this one yet.  Apple is pretty good at keeping new products secret until the release.  I haven't found a hands-on review yet.

Here's one example, noting the 'chink in the armor' relating to backlighting, and other deficiencies compared to NEC and Eizo...

http://www.alphr.com/apple/apple-imac

Some other reviews note that professionals (in graphics, product ads, etc) still like Eizo (or NEC) for very exacting needs.  Whether the average user can see the differences, or make use of the high standards, is another matter.  

It's early to tell on new Apple products, but one reason I like NEC (or Eizo) is proven reliability and little if any deterioration in standards over a long period....as I said, my NEC is six years old and still calibrates like a champ.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link.  But, as I stated in my initial post, I'm looking to buy the new iMac 27' 5K.  That link is for the older iMac 27" 5K with the older display panel which was stunning, but had some limitations as you noted.  I'm hoping the new version gets close enough to an Eizo monitor that it will be fine for me.  

Again, thanks.  If you have information about the new iMac I'd love to see it.  

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the link.  But, as I stated in my initial post, I'm looking to buy the new iMac 27' 5K.  That link is for the older iMac 27" 5K with the older display panel which was stunning, but had some limitations as you noted.  I'm hoping the new version gets close enough to an Eizo monitor that it will be fine for me.  

Again, thanks.  If you have information about the new iMac I'd love to see it.  

Rick

The few references I found to the upgraded display suggest an increase in the color gamut (to the same P3 gamut as the 4k iMac), but otherwise the same resolution, and no indication of other significant screen upgrades (only reference to better Intel processor, etc).  If that's the case, all the other issues noted in my link (and in my comments) would remain.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff,

Apple totally changed the back light LED.  Apple's PR says:  

This is achieved by shifting the Retina display away from standard white LEDs to advanced red-green phosphor LEDs. Now all three colors — red, green, and blue — are more equally represented and show off real-world color with more balance and precision.

I guess we will have to wait and see if this is just BS or Apple is serious about making a decent display.  Still looking forward to one of those reviews you read. 

Rick

Here is what Apple's slick advertising says:  http://www.apple.com/imac/design/  Again, I'm just waiting to read a review about it.  If, it is reviewed favorably I'll probably get one.  I don't have a lot of problem printing VPC quality from my set-up right now and this would be a huge upgrade over my Mac Book Pro (my graphics monitors are dead from almost a year now).   :)

Rick

The article I linked also notes the issue of backlight brightness uniformity, not merely color accuracy.  

For me, the issue of calibration control (as things inevitably drift) is paramount.  And so is long term stability; any review that doesn't cover extended use will of course not address this.

I also much prefer a separate display for home use....not dependent on a single computer that might go down.

YMMV, as they say.

Jeff

The article I linked also notes the issue of backlight brightness uniformity, not merely color accuracy.  

Jeff

Jeff,

One more time; the article you linked to is old.  It is a review of the previous model.  Apple introduced a new model on Oct. 13th.  It has an entirely new display.  I don't know how much better it is and I'm just trying to find a review of it, not an old review of the previous model.  I understand all of the issues you bring up and that is why I never got an older iMac.  If, you can find anything on the new model I'd love to read it.   :)

Rick

Edited by Rick

Once again, I'm well aware.....and so far I haven't seen anything to tell me that the NEW display will fix all the potential issues cited in the OLD review, notably the calibration control issues, nor can a new review address what would be another major concern of mine, the long term reliability issue.

I re-cited the brightness uniformity issue only because your Apple quote above (regarding the NEW backlighting) doesn't seem to address it.

So far we know that the NEW display has wider gamut (as I've already noted) and a different backlighting (as you've already noted).  

For me, color accuracy is important, but I've cited my other concerns, which is why I'd be sticking with NEC or Eizo, which have proven to meet my print control needs over the long term.....and for me it's all about printing (color and b/w).  Others have different priorities.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S