Focus accuracy Leica 1A

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No built in rangefinder linkage obviously means some cost in focus accuracy. However, I am curious, to what degree, the use of a period external Leica period rangefinder device alleviates the problems associated with focus accuracy.

How does the use of it work? do you move back and forth until the rangefinder tells you that you are exactly a certain number of feet away- a distance specifically marked on the lens distance scale- set the lens to that distance, and then shoot with fair certainty that your subject will be in focus? Or, is focus accuracy always going to be, at least in some measure, a crap shoot?

Thanks for any information. I am vacillating between a IId and a IA. Whatever I get, I intend to use. I am leaning IA but have no reference regarding how practical/impractical the camera is in use.

Best regards,

I have used both the fofer and hfook with my Standard and 3.5 Elmars. Focus accuracy seems right on in both cases. You use the RF view first, read the distance on the RF, and set the lens scale to the same reading. My fofer and one Elmar are metric, and my hfook and other Elmar are in feet, and both work well. (I've also used them mixed and gotten good results.)

Of course, a 50 at 3.5 doesn't need the accuracy of an f1.5, and I haven't tried my Summarit with it, but these rangefinders are quite accurate, as are the lens distance scales.

I've done some low light shots at about 3 ft. at f3.5 that appeared perfect focus.

• Like 2