MP Rewind Knob

Guest d.sge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I recently noticed that my still under warranty's MP rewind knob will spin a bit when I let go of it while rewinding a roll of film. It could be that it has always done that, but I do not recall that being the case. Experiences would be appreciated before I get in touch with Leica NJ tomorrow.

Regards,

Daniel

Edited by d.sge

Indeed. Though I haven't yet, I always feel like I'm going to break my M6 and M4-2 mid-rewind. Incidentally, they spin, too. Perhaps my big, clumsy thumbs have disengaged something on all of them.

All knob rewind M's should have some clutch action if well serviced. But realistically it is a bit of a hit and miss affair where different types of film can act against it as a bigger spring acting in the other direction.

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

M2: nice, tight clutch - very little axial play, clutch holds film mid-roll without spinning

M3: see M2 (identical)

MP: axial play when extended for rewind, does not hold the film mid-roll, will spin if not held with one finger while rewinding

I once showed my MP to a tech in Wetzlar and asked about this - describing that I had to hold the knob while rewinding or the film will spin the knob and described how nice and tight my M2 works - it was recommended to leave it as is, as it was working as expected.

My impression is that it is hit and miss but one could surely ask an independent tech to adjust the rewind mechanism to taste (probably involving changing the entire rewind assembly under the rewind knob - hence the don't bother "it works as expected" comment I guess).

• Like 1

Just to confirm, I was using my M2 the other day and made a point of checking this - the rewind knob does NOT allow the film to slacken off during rewinding as I first said.

I seem to remember the M3 I had did the same. If your rewind mechanism isn't holding the slack I'd suggest that it maybe needs adjustment.