What is you M Back up?

freitz

As is so often said ad nauseam the only genuine backup is the same camera, another M, and there really are some people who buy them. But the logic of that has always escaped me, instead of having a backup camera I could have an entirely different camera that can do all the things an M can't do! So a Sony RX100 is my favourite to carry alongside an M, or a Holga, anything in fact that won't be left in a drawer waiting around as a backup.

Steve

I'm off to Carmel Ca for a well earned vacation. In my trunk, Safari/35mm Cron ASPH/XVario/X1/Nikon D90+Various Nikon Lenses..

Wifey has V-Lux 4 & 40...Back up is the first camera available if the one your shooting with goes "xits up"... MacBook & Card Reader to

download daily work... Cocktails @ Mission Ranch & chauffeur driven limo ready and waiting.. Oh sxxt' nearly forgot Uncle Amex '(^_^)'

A question of terminology if you don't mind. Do you make a difference between "backup camera" and "spare camera".

Not for sure ...but I think my spare camera is my backup?

But it could be that my backup camera is in all actuality is just a spare.

My mind is now in a muddle!

• Like 2

As a traveler who is always looking to reduce the weight and bulk of stuff I carry, it would be counterproductive to carry a backup that weighs more than my main camera, and/or does not allow interchangeability of lenses between them.  My current backup is a second M240.  Previously I have used a Panny G1 micro 4/3 w/M adapter and Sony Nex 6 w/M adapter.  I did not want to spend on a second M8 or M9 at the time, but the M240 seems like a long-termer for me.  Barring Leica's return to the form factor of a film M I don't see anything they could offer in a new model that would persuade me to upgrade.

As a traveler who is always looking to reduce the weight and bulk of stuff I carry, it would be counterproductive to carry a backup that weighs more than my main camera, and/or does not allow interchangeability of lenses between them.  My current backup is a second M240.  Previously I have used a Panny G1 micro 4/3 w/M adapter and Sony Nex 6 w/M adapter.  I did not want to spend on a second M8 or M9 at the time, but the M240 seems like a long-termer for me.  Barring Leica's return to the form factor of a film M I don't see anything they could offer in a new model that would persuade me to upgrade.

Yes I agree Ideally a second M would be the best option. I think I'm leaning towards the A7s for low light capability and close focus with the adapter from Voigtlander. Also rather cheap on the used market right now in comparison to a second M240.

Like bocaburger I like to travel light. On my longer trips I take my Ricoh GXR with M mount. It is very small and light and takes the same lenses as my M240 though as it has an APS-C sesor it alters the effective focal length. I prefer to take my photographic gear and laptop in my hand luggage when flying and it adds very ittle to the bulk or weight.

A "Spare" is a BackUp!!  B)

If a spare is a backup then a backup must be a spare i suspect ;) so my only replacement in case of damage or loss is an M8.2 but i rarely travel w/o a Sigma DP2, a Fuji X-E2 with M lenses and/or a Panny LX100. FWIW.

I'm off to Carmel Ca for a well earned vacation. In my trunk, Safari/35mm Cron ASPH/XVario/X1/Nikon D90+Various Nikon Lenses..

Wifey has V-Lux 4 & 40...Back up is the first camera available if the one your shooting with goes "xits up"... MacBook & Card Reader to

download daily work... Cocktails @ Mission Ranch & chauffeur driven limo ready and waiting.. Oh sxxt' nearly forgot Uncle Amex '( ^_^)'

have a great time!!