Battery emptied on my first street shoot!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well the battery in the Leica Q died after 3 1/2hours!!   So I started doing some research.  Apparently batteries are in hot demand as this is just the nature of this beast.   So I started looking into ways of conserving battery life.   Of course the obvious and best way is to shut the camera off.  But the camera takes about 1 1/2 seconds to start up plus if you raise it to your eye you have some viewfinder change over time...so maybe two seconds.   Just try and take a picture of your dog doing something cool in the middle of your yard and you'll quickly see these 2 seconds could be priceless....it is guaranteed he will NOT BE IN YOUR VIEWFINDER when you finally get a chance to see the screen.

The best solution is to use the sleep function which is a great solution!!   The split second you touch the shutter button you are immediately looking at the viewfinder screen.  Really can't beat the speed that I know of.  

I believe the OIS is always on in my camera to some extent.   Here's why and please try this yourself and add your comments.   Turn your camera on.   Set the sleep time to 30 seconds.  Turn the OIS to "on"   While the camera is awake...press and hold the screen up against your ear.   Listen to the OIS motor whirring away inside as you look around the room  (still holding the camera to your ear so you can listen)...its quite audible this close to your ear.   Now wait till the camera goes to sleep in 30 seconds...yes the sound is still there in my camera just quieter.   Now try it with the OIS in the off position...same thing....the noise remains.  The only thing that helps the noise to decrease is by remaining perfectly still with absolutely no movement.  Even then its faintly audible.  

Is my camera is defective or does everyone's camera make this whirring sound even after the camera is asleep?   If everyone's camera does this, this would imply that OIS needs to stay running all the time and is probably something known and built purposefully into the software.  But if its just my camera making this whirring noise I should have it repaired or replaced.  

Thanks for any help.

Dude, the thread title is seriously misleading! 

Regarding the Q: 

I just guess that this lovely camera unfortunately eats the batteries like skittles... I got around it by setting up the power savings and in some cases by just using the evf... but nonetheless a pair of spare batteries is a must have!

• Like 3

Firstly Selten I really think it would be helpful if you used less inflammatory tiles in your posts. Your first post was tiled 'Manual focus is a lie' which is just not the case and now this when you say your camera 'died' when all that has happened is that the battery ran out. Personally I have 1 Leica and 2 Panasonic batteries and find the to be enough to cover a days normal shooting.

As to OIS I don't believe your your camera is faulty as even when in the 'off' mode the mechanism is partially activated. You even seem to answered your own concern here in the last post

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250811-new-noise-appearing/.

You will find a lot of info here on the forum but it does take a bit of work to find it.

• Like 2

My wife left me!!!!

For 5 minutes to buy some milk.

But in all seriousness, just buy a couple of the Panasonic or Sigma or 3rd party batteries and problem solved. It's a full frame compact camera with an LCD, EVF and OIS so battery life isn't going to rival the likes of a D810.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Doctor just told me I'm going to die!!!!!..................eventually.

Good grief, are you a Sun journalist?

My understanding of most OIS systems is that they are 'engaged' whenever the camera is powered up, whether you are actually using the IS function or not. When the electrics are completely off you might hear a kind of rattle from the lens which are the components of the OIS system.

• Like 2

My Leica Q is unusable............... In between battery changes....  :-)

The batteries need to be cycled half a dozen times to get the full use out of them.

I now get 300ish pics per battery. No OIS and no pic review.

Go take pics instead of trying to find reasons you can't.

And I'm also living a lie and use "Manual" focus.....  :-)

Edited by Big T
  • Like 5

You even seem to answered your own concern here in the last post

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/250811-new-noise-appearing/.

You will find a lot of info here on the forum but it does take a bit of work to find it.

As you can see I do read the posts.   Please direct me to a thread concerning a whirring sound coming from the camera while in sleep mode.  In the thread you linked, I was referring to the clunking sound you get....that's also part of the OIS and is completely normal.  The whirring sound is also completely normal with OIS as that is how it works......BUT BUT BUT...my question (although clouded with the scary post title is about the whirring sound the Q makes in "sleep mode".   Mine does it, does everyone else Q make the sound?

My Doctor just told me I'm going to die!!!!!..................eventually.

Good grief, are you a Sun journalist?

Well the heading of this post got my attention - I am now looking for the bingo card and a 10 quid voucher for Eurostar.

As you can see I do read the posts.   Please direct me to a thread concerning a whirring sound coming from the camera while in sleep mode.  In the thread you linked, I was referring to the clunking sound you get....that's also part of the OIS and is completely normal.  The whirring sound is also completely normal with OIS as that is how it works......BUT BUT BUT...my question (although clouded with the scary post title is about the whirring sound the Q makes in "sleep mode".   Mine does it, does everyone else Q make the sound?

Selten

In order to put your mind at rest, and in the light of your concerns,  I've examined my 2 month old Leica Q under various configurations and I can confirm that there are whirring sounds (and even a slight hiss) from within the camera that are not all dependent on having OIS switched on.  (if yours didn't make a sound and ours did, would you complain?).    I haven't had time to put it to sleep, but my normal practice is to switch it off.  I took the same approach with my Canons (10, 30, 5D, 1D, 1D2, 1D3)  and even more so with the whirring Sigma Merrill DP which only took about 45 shots per battery charge.  (Got rid of that camera very quickly.   Took a loss but recovered my sanity!)

I don't agree with you (or anyone) about battery saving by disabling features.    Why not enjoy everything the camera has to offer by carrying an additional two, very inexpensive batteries.    It will free you from battery anxiety.  

When you are "on the street", (like I may be in London, China, New York, or India or Central Asia), I know that any operational noises from the camera will be inaudible, and you can switch every other alert OFF.  My other camera is an M9 and  I love the reassuring noise it makes, and I've not noticed anyone turn around to see what that noise was. (even inside religious buildings in some ancient and strictly regulated locations).   :D

By the way, it can help us when answering your questions, to know which country you are in.  Add it to your forum profile and we won't give you inappropriate advice about dealers and suppliers etc. 

If you are using User Profiles, make doubly sure that you haven't saved a user setting with OIS ON.   It's easily done so check the on-screen icon which indicates OIS On or Off.

Finally, you won't get well framed shots if you are holding the camera to your ear.    In the same way that you won't be able to navigate a road and drive a car safely if you are always watching the dashboard..   :(

Go shoot!  but if you don't  quite capture the moment, then consider that it might be "technique" and not the Q.

Note:  I've edited this post about 10  15 times, so you may need to re-read.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 3

Selten

In order to put your mind at rest, and in the light of your concerns,  I've examined my 2 month old Leica Q under various configurations and I can confirm that there are whirring sounds (and even a slight hiss) from within the camera that are not all dependent on having OIS switched on.

Thank You.

When you are "on the street", (like I may be in London, China, New York, or India or Central Asia), 

Do you have a link to share some of your shoots?   I love living vicariously through others photography especially world traveling street photographers.

Go shoot!  but if you don't  quite capture the moment, then consider that it might be "technique" and not the Q.

I totally agree with your jab...technique is important...but you have to learn the new equipment when changing camera systems...you think?

I know my first two posts may seem skeptical of the Q to some, however please consider that it may be somewhat related to the dent my wallet is feeling from the hefty price tag of the Q.   I am new to the Leica brand (Q is my first) and I came into the Leica fold expecting a top quality issue free superior device.   So far my expectations are not ruined (admittedly a little disappointed the lens does not have a true mechanical focus feature)  I just need a little validation that my luxury camera is operating as designed.  You're absolutely right...just get out there and shoot with it...I just need to bring a pocket Full O' Batteries when I do.

• Like 1

You know... Please don't get me wrong but if you are feeling a dent in your pocket you shouldn't have bought it in the first place! These kind of expenses have to be well considered so that you don't have to worry afterwards that you spent so much money! 

But besides that: No matter how expensive a product is, you are always going to have a couple of units which may have faults... It's just in the nature of it but things like that can be fixed. And regarding the mechanical focus, i don't know why it is important for you because it actually doesn't make difference, you could have asked that before spending that money in the Q

Nevertheless... go get yourself a couple of batteries and just shoot with it! It's a lovely camera which has to be used! And personally i think, that 3 or 4 batteries in total are absolutely enough for normal use! If someone really needs more batteries for a shooting day i would rather ask myself if a Leica was the right camera to buy :D 

You know... Please don't get me wrong but if you are feeling a dent in your pocket you shouldn't have bought it in the first place! These kind of expenses have to be well considered so that you don't have to worry afterwards that you spent so much money! 

But besides that: No matter how expensive a product is, you are always going to have a couple of units which may have faults... It's just in the nature of it but things like that can be fixed. And regarding the mechanical focus, i don't know why it is important for you because it actually doesn't make difference, you could have asked that before spending that money in the Q

Nevertheless... go get yourself a couple of batteries and just shoot with it! It's a lovely camera which has to be used! And personally i think, that 3 or 4 batteries in total are absolutely enough for normal use! If someone really needs more batteries for a shooting day i would rather ask myself if a Leica was the right camera to buy :D

LOL...rich people.

On a side note:  It was recently learned that famous designer Adam West teamed up with Leica in an effort to design a new accessory for the Q for holding additional batteries.  They are going to name it the "BATT belt"  Word is, street photographers around the world will flock to it....once the signal is sent up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am not rich by any means! A Leica was a long time wish for which I worked my ass off and saved a lot of money but now i am enjoying this lovely little thing and don't spent a single thought about the money i spent... If it's going to break on me so what? Things like that can happen and you have a wonderful warranty which kicks in in that case! 

And again, your camera ist fine so go get yourself a couple of spare batteries and have fun with it! 

Loving this post, in the end it is all about what your expectations are and what is important to you.  I still have two sigmas that only get 20 images per battery I carry 10 batteries with me and think of it as carrying film.

All Kudos to you.   I couldn't live with the Sigma Merril DP 50 and just offloaded at best offered price.   I agree it took very sharp shots but the processing software and battery limitations irritated me.     I couldn't put them on the monthly Barnack challenge so it had to go.    

Loving this post, in the end it is all about what your expectations are and what is important to you.  I still have two sigmas that only get 20 images per battery I carry 10 batteries with me and think of it as carrying film.