Mac Users, El Capitan and scanners

chrism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My V850 with updated Epson software appears to have a glitch with 10.11.4 . When scanning it pauses after saving the file and waits, and waits, and waits, then kicks off again on the next frame, if after saving the file I then click on the progress box it springs into life scanning the next frame immediately.

Just in case others have the issue, hopefully an incremental version will fix it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my v600 after upgrading to El Capitan. 

In my case, the scanner sits there idly after finishing a scan/save (e.g. Scan 1 of 2, 2 of 3, etc.) until I move the cursor on my touchpad. Then the scanner wakes up and scans on. 

I'm likewise hoping that Epson will release a new driver/software package to address this.

On the other hand, my Leica BEOON stand shows up today so perhaps it's just as well I waited to upgrade to El Capitan as long as I did. Only 3 rolls' worth of mild frustration. :)

My V850 with updated Epson software appears to have a glitch with 10.11.4 . When scanning it pauses after saving the file and waits, and waits, and waits, then kicks off again on the next frame, if after saving the file I then click on the progress box it springs into life scanning the next frame immediately.

Just in case others have the issue, hopefully an incremental version will fix it.

• Like 1

Since switching to an iMac (see post #16) I have had the same annoying 'feature' with my V700.

Epson have a patch to download to fix the inability of the V700 to scan multiple negs.

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp

Go to scanners. V700 photo. Mac users 10.11.x. Download the patch and install.

Restart Mac. You may have to go to the Image Capture App. Open File. Reset TWAIN. Answer YES to Image Capture. Not NO. Restart. 

They have patches for most other scanners as well.

• Like 2

Epson have a patch to download to fix the inability of the V700 to scan multiple negs.

http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp

Go to scanners. V700 photo. Mac users 10.11.x. Download the patch and install.

Restart Mac. You may have to go to the Image Capture App. Open File. Reset TWAIN. Answer YES to Image Capture. Not NO. Restart. 

They have patches for most other scanners as well.

Many thanks Hardy, BLISS, I can drink coffee in peace again as the scanner gets on with its job.

Some points though:

• My Epson updater reports all is up to date ( this before patch) and says drivers and utilities, which is greyed out, are supplied by Apple Inc. Updater is 2.2.0 current version.
  • Apple says all is up to date nothing to download.
  • Epson UK site says nothing about a patch at all, shows all software versions as installed.
  • Your kindly supplied link to Australia says the patch is a common updater, just as well they don't list the V850 ( not sold there, the 800 is listed?) 
  • Downloaded, unzipped ( they don't mention that step), installed and as above BLISS.
  • The patch worked without a restart and without TWAIN reset decisions being asked for.

Many thanks but a bit of a shambles from Epson.

The EU site says the patch was issued Nov 19th last year now I have found the correct page:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=CuG9aEks7iWy7BKvNxnwbAEPVs0LYMVLTflFNuWQqLoU003D&tc=6

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bliss indeed Chris! Great that a solution exists on the EU site albeit different. Being shackled to a computer while scanning even one roll of 35mm is such a waste of time especially when there is good coffee to be had. :D

I hadn't used my V700 since upgrading to El Capitan and when I recently started to shoot film again and wanted to proof the rolls of film ( I use a BEOON on selected images), I discovered the problem everyone on this thread was experiencing. A search on the net revealed worse scenarios where no scanner was recognised or able to be initiated. One of the solutions was to reset TWAIN on Image Capture, reboot and answer YES when the dialogue box asks if you wish to use Image Capture (instead of Epson) which is, of course, counter-intuitive. I didn't even know that Image Capture could be/was linked to the scanner in the first place. When these steps (even clicking NO in the dialogue box) didn't solve the lack of scanning multiple images I found another forum that revealed that Epson had a patch to fix it.

Ironically, after I had downloaded the patch and restarted my Mac, I couldn't find the scanner and when I did wasn't able to access it. So...I reset the TWAIN via the Image Capture App, rebooted, answered YES and my Bliss was finally here. 

The V800 is listed on the Australian site.

I hadn't considered that the solution might be slightly different worldwide. It looks like I may have naively wandered in via the side gate or back door on this as I didn't even check how up-to-date the software was via the updater. Normally something we would all do first.

Agreed. A right mess that has caused much frustration and has us all very wary when any future system upgrade comes along.

Edited by Hardster
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Epson Scan Patch for OSX 10.11  1.0

Just downloaded and installed this on my iMac running El Capitan 10.11.5. Fired up the Epson V700 & Epson Scan software, set it to scan a batch of 35mm negs - no need to keep nudging the mouse anymore, the scanner just got on with the process as it should have been doing all along.  End of frustration!

• Like 1

Me thinks the naming of "El Capitan" is inspired by a pirate, perhaps not unlike the post Jobs leadership of Apple itself. The dudes do not abide all the rules of the sea, and so we are seeing compatibility issues here and there, and the pirates at Apple are not taking responsibility.

With microsoft products not working on my mac, it's merely infuriating. More recently, I was up in a small plane when ForeFlight (navigation software) sufferd an iOS related communication breakdown with the GPS. Given how the aviation community has been encouraged to trust ForeFlight as the only map one needs in the cockpit... Well, this is a recipe for misfortune.

(Stepping off my soap box)

Rant over.