Mac Users, El Capitan and scanners

chrism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone nervous about upgrading to 10.11 might like to know that:

1. Flexcolor and a Flextight X1 scanner work just as normal, with an Apple FW400 to FW800 cable plugged into a FW to Thunderbolt adaptor.

2. Vuescan (which seems to have an update every time I open it; not sure if any are specific to El Capitan) continues to work fine with a Nikon 9000 and a Konica Minolta 5400 II. The Nikon uses a FW400 cable plugged into a FW400 to FW800 adaptor, itself plugged into a FW to Thunderbolt adaptor, and the KM5400 is a simple USB connection.

3. The Epson V850 did require a new software download from Epson, and it initially wouldn't open. It showed a dialog saying my scanner was linked to Image Capture (it never has been) and did I want to use it with TWAIN? The trick is to say yes to this - I had clicked on No the first few times thinking TWAIN was a plug-in for use with PS and the like. Well, Epson Scan must use it too. After saying Yes I have had no problems. Vuescan can also see and control the V850.

Chris

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

*Update* 

I just called Reflecta: they told me they are currently testing drivers / CyberView for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).

If everything works fine they plan to release the update for El Capitan till the end of next week! ;) 

Did you ask Reflecta why they didn't update their software based on the El Capitan betas that had been out since mid-summer?  Also did you tell Reflecta that 10.11 is not the latest release and that they should be testing with 10.11.1 and with 10.11.2 beta?

Is Lasersoft going to stop selling its products?  i.e. since they apparently don't intend to keep up with OS changes, they must no longer be in the software business.

I'll give all these companies a clue.  Next October OS X 10.12 will come out.  Maybe they should plan ahead.

• Like 1

I am really interested in this topic  I am preparing to return to some film shooting with my M7 and reactivating my Minolta 5400.

Need to get VueScan to use with my MacBook Pro.  Awaiting batteries for M7 and film mailer from THE DARKROOM.

DFDANN

• 1 month later...

Perhaps  some one  can explain  a  bit  about   scanners  to  me . 

I  have  a  Nikon  Super Coolscan 5000 which  is   good. It  used  to  work  with  my  Mac Book  Pro  when it   ran  Snow  Leopard  10;6.8  . Then  earlier  this  year  the   graphics  card  failed  and  I had  a new  one  fitted . The  repairer  offered  to install  Maverics  10.9.5  which   I  foolishly  agreed  to  , after he  assured  me  everything   wold  work .   I  should have   known better  having    changed other  operating  systems. 

At  the   moment    my  Nikon  scanner  only  works  with   my  other   Gateway  laptop   running   Windows  Vista .

I  have  heard  the  Vue Scan is  good  and   can  handle  almost  any  scanner . If  I  installed   Vue  Scan  would  that  let  me  use  my  Nikon  Scanner   with   Maverics  10.9.5  ?   I  do not  want  to   buy  something  that  does  not  work.  I  also have  an Epson  scanner  which   does not  work  with  my  Mac Book , would  Vue Scan do the  trick  ? 

Any  help  or  advice  would  be  appreciated  ,  thanks. 

Hugh.

I'd check first on the Vuescan page, and then if in doubt e mail the man at Vuescan, Ed I think his name is. I had a similar connundrum a while back, an "old" Minolta 5400 II scanner, and the latest OSX. I was assured it would work, and it did/does, I am very happy.

Plus, try his site, there is a trial version freely available. I tried it, ensured all worked, then paid, a real good way to do things I reckon.

Gary

Anyone nervous about upgrading to 10.11 might like to know that:

3. The Epson V850 did require a new software download from Epson, and it initially wouldn't open. It showed a dialog saying my scanner was linked to Image Capture (it never has been) and did I want to use it with TWAIN? The trick is to say yes to this - I had clicked on No the first few times thinking TWAIN was a plug-in for use with PS and the like. Well, Epson Scan must use it too. After saying Yes I have had no problems. Vuescan can also see and control the V850.

Chris

Made my first foray into Mac-land with the purchase of a 21.5" iMac running 10.11.1 on Sunday.  Something of a voyage of discovery after PC use since pre-Windows days and the same scanner problem arose when I installed my V700.  Luckily I clicked on yes for Twain second time of asking and the scanner works fine with the Epson Scan software - phew.  Have changed to Mac versions of CCloud/LR/PS + Nik Collection (SEfexPro etc) and Perfect Effects Suite - all running well although lots of new keyboard shortcuts to learn!

• 4 weeks later...

As I like to recommend cheap scanners and keep a Pacific Image/Prime Film 3650u around, I got around to trying it with El Capitan. Usually Vuescan can see it and work with it, but no dice at all. The version of Cyberview X that is available at scanace.com will not run either so I couldn't update the firmware. In less that 24 hours I had a helpful reply from Prime Film with a link to a beta of Cyberview X that let me update the firmware and now the 3650u runs happily with Vuescan again. Evidently they didn't manage to keep to the release schedule mentioned by maxip above, but they are responsive and the scanner works. I can't complain.

Were I the complaining sort, I'd mention that Flexcolor is currently 4½ years old and I'm amazed that it still works with all the Mac OS changes since then!

Chris

• Like 1

I got Problems with SilverFast 8.5 and Quato Intelliscan 5000. 

After a Previewscan you got the Message "unknown Error".

At the Moment 10.11. is not officially supported from Lasersoft.

Kind Regards

Michael

Most expensive software I can NOT buy for my 5400.   I would rather buy an old computer that uses my original software.

Edited by tobey bilek

• 3 months later...