That's Odd. What caused this white line?

Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No other images affected. MP, 28 Cron Asph, AgfaVista 200. The lens possibly had a neutral density filter on it but I don't think that is the cause. I've not looked at the condition of the negative, but do you think something other than physical damage could be the cause?

Pete

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The line has a gentle and regular curve, points to a reflection/flare effect to me. Hard to tell but there are pools of that strong sun around where you stood you could have just had some hitting the hood or even the lens thread. It is black but quite reflective if you look and that front element is not what you would call recessed.

The 12589 is from the F1.4 35mm Asph isn't it? Does it not have a metal spring "thing" inside, could that cause a reflection? I have the ridiculous in price 12451, second actually the first fell apart, and no 12589 at present I presume, up to now, you preferred the 12589 being smaller but perhaps less effective on the 28mm than the 35mm?

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 2

Hello Pete,

I also noticed the curve in the line that Chris noted in the Post just above.

The curve seems to be a symetery of the black wire/line that begins in the upper right hand corner of the photo & follows along & meets with the white line we are writing about in the ceiling of the upstairs balcony across the street.

It is interesting that inside the angle created where the 2 lines meet there appears to be a higher degree of flare.

An enlargement of the spot at/around the meeting point might be useful.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

The line has a gentle and regular curve, points to a reflection/flare effect to me. Hard to tell but there are pools of that strong sun around where you stood you could have just had some hitting the hood or even the lens thread. It is black but quite reflective if you look and that front element is not what you would call recessed.

The 12589 is from the F1.4 35mm Asph isn't it? Does it not have a metal spring "thing" inside, could that cause a reflection? I have the ridiculous in price 12451, second actually the first fell apart, and no 12589 at present I presume, up to now, you preferred the 12589 being smaller but perhaps less effective on the 28mm than the 35mm?

Yes, the 12589 is less effective but easier to pack in my bag. I use hoods more for protection of the front element/filter than for shelter from flare. Flare doesn't usually bother me, in fact I usually like it, but flare like this would render a decent image useless. I'm lucky this isn't a very interesting image anyway.

Hello Pete,

I also noticed the curve in the line that Chris noted in the Post just above.

The curve seems to be a symetery of the black wire/line that begins in the upper right hand corner of the photo & follows along & meets with the white line we are writing about in the ceiling of the upstairs balcony across the street.

It is interesting that inside the angle created where the 2 lines meet there appears to be a higher degree of flare.

An enlargement of the spot at/around the meeting point might be useful.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks for your input Michael. I don't know if this is of help but I'll give it a go.

Pete

• Like 1

This is a bit darker

• Like 1

Hello Pete,

It is sort of like there is a sheet of something flexible & transparent which is also square/rectangular that is in the image path.

See the flare in both of the glass doors in the 2 balconies at the top where the white & black lines meet.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Hello Chris,

That would make things a combination of the flare you spoke of with a reflection from the wire down to the street as per the 1st photo.

That seems like it might be possible because a significant portion of the black wire is reflecting the white of the sun in the 1st photo.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Perhaps that line should be straight and has a gentle curve from the lens, whisper the word distortion ? Or perhaps the wire just sags !!

I suspect if sufficiently mathematical competent using the shadows the angle of the sun could be calculated and the angle of the wire to white line it could be proved. 

Well they did work out the timing for Ansel Adams Moonrise : 4:49:20 p.m. on November 1, 1941

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrise,_Hernandez,_New_Mexico

• Like 1

Not unlike the effect that the David Warner character noticed in The Omen. :o  Perhaps a bit of a close shave for the two people in the middle of the photograph next time they find themselves in a churchyard during a storm?

Edited by wattsy