Circular marks on photos

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a new camera and had first film processed. The film was processed by a real amateur and I won't go back to this firm. It was also scanned.

The pictures have marks at the same place and size on all of them. They all seem to be circular.

For example, look at the circle on the bottom left. This comes through on all photos

Can these marks come from the processing ? or can then come from the camera ?

Will shortly have the second film processed to compare ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I find the marks difficult to see, and/or see which ones you mean.

Three or so decent small "spots", black. Plus swirly marks which I would suggest are "drying marks" poor washing/drying.

Your super dark shot helps to see these of course, I'd say a "normal" daylight shot might mean you don't see any of them.

Gary

• Like 1

I think they are almost certainly caused by processing, the camera can't produce those blotchy black marks unless you've been shooting double exposures?

So if it isn't cobble stones or a wall that is superimposed I think foaming chemicals during development or thermal stress by too rapid drying while bubbles from the stabiliser bath are still on the film, just an idea?

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks. That's reassuring. I was struggling to work out how a dirty or faulty shutter could produce these. The camera is in excellent super clean condition but I have not fully examined all the detail of the shutter.

Per the comment above on the dark shot, these swirls also come up clearly on bright even pictures, eg where there is sky. They are in the same place on every photo.

The other films I am having developed elsewhere, so will see how that one goes.

The pictures have marks at the same place and size on all of them. 

That for me is the clincher, the marks are occurring when a frame is being actively, individually, accessed: at the point of exposure or scanning.

I cannot see how exposure would give the effects shown, I think it is the scanning, examine the film closely as suggested above. The other possible is dirty rollers in the C41 processor but those would struggle to be in exact register on each frame and they will show on the film, obviously.

I am not clear how you have shown this shot, I am not aware of a processing firm/scanner commercially who will add a text copyright to the frame, (far RHS vertical). So, is this a frame re-scanned or an original scan, or have you aded that later, if re-scanned what is the original like? 

• Like 2

I am not aware of a processing firm/scanner commercially who will add a text copyright to the frame, (far RHS vertical). So, is this a frame re-scanned or an original scan, or have you aded that later, if re-scanned what is the original like?

Sorry the Text was put in when I scaled down to the 1024 required for this forum Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

Per the comment above on the dark shot, these swirls also come up clearly on bright even pictures, eg where there is sky. They are in the same place on every photo.

The bright semi-circles look like lens mount light leaks to me.

The dark blotches could be poorly incorporated developer or bleach.

Problem during the process , bad revelation partially interrupted rotation
Watch the traces of round drops, on crop (I accentuated to see better)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Harold develop yourself , it's better and it's easy !
See my pictures on the thread "I like film"

All my last color films are developed by myself at 30°C (C41 process)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1