Zero Halliburton - yea or nay?

Herr Barnack

I have this case and love it very much. The silver finish looks very slick but you do have to be careful to avoid scratches. My other favorite cases are the Pelicans. They are more rugged and can take a bit more abuse without being too visible.

• Like 1

I do not think the Zeros are waterproof.

Do they have an atmospheric release valve?

Lovely cases; I have a couple. They have a 'seal' (rubber gasket/'O' ring) but its not as tight as those on a Pelicase and there is no pressure equalising valve so I'd say that they are water resistant rather than waterproof. Mine are not used for cameras......

I've used the Z/H cases a lot for industrial test equipment I designed to be permanently mounted in it. For that they were very good. I used one decades ago for a 2 -body SLR kit. Too clumsy for me for that use. I changed to canvas bags.

We used to use Halliburton but he some bad airline experience with the aluminum actually being pierced. The cases are not quite as indestruable and waterproof as the Pelican cases. We've moved to the Pelican cases and are more confident in their survival.

Do not store gear in them if they have the foam inserts.  You will be sorry.

Scratches are good.  Decades ago, pros used to drag them behind the car to create instant patina.  They appear less desirable that way.  Also lots of travel stickers.

Would that not also hold true for any other case with the pick and pluck type foam inserts?

Edited by Carlos Danger

• 2 weeks later...

I use mine when I travel and need cameras, computers and audio etc. each item has their own case and I also use a Crumpler backpack. It can be a bit conspicuous but can be safely chained in a hotel room. I also have shoulder bags for everyday carry which always has my M-E and another camera.

Here's mine.  It's a 22" wheeled case.  I use it mostly for storage...  I typically carry my gear in a Domke F2 or F6 (depending on what I'm carrying) when i'm working.  The gear has changed a little since this cell phone snapshot, but you get the idea. 

13366552444_e77663a65f.jpgIMG_0203a by Roger H, on Flickr

I store my 501cm outfit in an old Halliburton military surplus mine detector case.

13366588974_46da8165a6.jpgIMG_0204a by Roger H, on Flickr

Edited by hepcat

Do not store gear in them if they have the foam inserts.  You will be sorry.

Scratches are good.  Decades ago, pros used to drag them behind the car to create instant patina.  They appear less desirable that way.  Also lots of travel stickers.

The gray foam used in Pelican and Halliburton cases are inert and don't outgas like common upholstery foam.  I've stored my Hasselblad and Leica gear in the gray foam Halliburton cases and now Pelican) use since about 1980 with no ill effects. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The gray foam used in Pelican and Halliburton cases are inert and don't outgas like common upholstery foam.  I've stored my Hasselblad and Leica gear in the gray foam Halliburton cases and now Pelican) use since about 1980 with no ill effects. 

Thanks for that bit of information - I would have thought it unlikely in the extreme that either ZH, Pelican or HPRC would use foam for inserts that could outgas and damage camera gear or computers. 

Given the cost of the ZH cases, these certainly make a strong case (no pun intended) for themselves   http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748613-REG/HPRC_HPRC2550WFORAN_2550WF_Hard_Case_with.html