The Nik Collection

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am curious if anyone uses this?

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Considering on adding it to my LR CC and Photoshop CC work flow. I have a few questions.

Can you right click and click edit in - Silver Efex Pro etc.. like you can with photoshop while in light room?

How do you find the software? Bloat or actually useful in addition to LR CC?

Examples of how this will effect a 100% Lightroom work flow?

Thanks for all the help.

-Fred

Edited by freitz

I use Silver Efex for a large part of the b&w conversions I do. The other option for me is DxO FilmPack.

Both can be used by right click - Edit in.

Can also be used as a smart filter from PS. That way, you can 'revisit'.

Directly from LR, there is no going back to check or tweak settings.

Silver Efex works really well as a software for me.

You have a set of presets you could use as a starting point, some film emulations, colour filters, control points for local adjustments.

You can save your own settings as preset as well.

The result is automatically saved as a tif or psd and is added to the collection you're working in.

I'd say the integration with LR is seamless.

I must say I rarely use the other programs from the package but since I got them for free when google bought Nik... 

I use Silver Efex for a large part of the b&w conversions I do. The other option for me is DxO FilmPack.

Both can be used by right click - Edit in.

Can also be used as a smart filter from PS. That way, you can 'revisit'.

Directly from LR, there is no going back to check or tweak settings.

Silver Efex works really well as a software for me.

You have a set of presets you could use as a starting point, some film emulations, colour filters, control points for local adjustments.

You can save your own settings as preset as well.

The result is automatically saved as a tif or psd and is added to the collection you're working in.

I'd say the integration with LR is seamless.

I must say I rarely use the other programs from the package but since I got them for free when google bought Nik... 

Excellent so I can't tweak anything in lightroom? They don't work like plug in's they are separate programs completely?

Excellent so I can't tweak anything in lightroom? They don't work like plug in's they are separate programs completely?

After NIK treatment you have an opportunity to continuing processing it as normal, if that is what you want. If you take the option to work on a dupicate version, you still have the orignial should you desire to revisit it. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

After NIK treatment you have an opportunity to continuing processing it as normal, if that is what you want. If you take the option to work on a dupicate version, you still have the orignial should you desire to revisit it. Best of both worlds.

Awesome thanks for the help. Going to pick it up today and try it out.

You can also go the other way and take your LR tweaking with you into Silver Efex.

Or combine both.

A tip is to open the picture as smart object from LR to PS, once in PS you can call on any NIK-app and it will act as a smart object as well, enabling you to come back and adjust your settings in the app at a later stage should you not be satisfied with your first edit.

Another advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to deal with exporting a tiff file before the file is opened in the NIK plug-in.

Which means that if you decide to not edit the file further, you can simply just close it without saving and you won't have to deal with deleting the exported tiff in Lightroom - which you have to do if you open the file directly in NIK from Lightroom, as the tiff will be created and saved before it is even opened in the NIK application.

It works as a plug-in to Lightroom. I typically make some basic adjustments in Lightroom, then fire up SE2 for some specific adjustments. SE2 saves the image as a .tif. You can work on a .tif further in Lightroom, but I find it easier to do any Lightroom adjustments when it's still a DNG file.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using the entire Suite since shortly after it was released.  80% of the time it is Silver Efex, but I do find some interesting filters in Color Efx.  I like the contrast, polarizer effects.  Usually i take the preset, and then knock it back.  I also like using the Sharpening program.  I am not a fan of HDR, but I have played with it.  Seems fine.

I open them from Photoshop without Smart Filters.    As I said Silver Efex is the best of the bunch for me and the one I use for creative purposes on a regular basis.  I still find that more minor dodging and burning is best done once the photo comes back into Photoshop.  I also sometimes use a Black and White Adjustment Layer before bringing the photo into Silver Eft.  That may sound redundant, but I find that being able make adjustments to different colors is easier as a Photoshop layer.  

You should experiment with the presets.  Everyone seems to find 2 or 3 they like, and then use them as a starting point.  I like the first Push and the first Fine Art filters, but there is no cost to experimenting.