M6 Titanium Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Al Saud

ybarza

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone know anything about this special edition M6 Titanium? I bought it off ebay but can't really find any info on it.

The top plate reads:

H.R.H Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud

Presented by Leica Camera and Ahmed & Mohammed Saleh Kaki

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Looks more like some kind of corporate or personal gift rather than a special edition. Rather utilitarian looking engraving (actually looks more like the writing has been stamped using individual letter punches) but a titanium M6 is nonetheless a desirable camera and the 'engraving' provides a slightly amusing/eccentric talking point.

Not sure whether Saud bin Abdul Muhsin is the governor of Ha'il province or this is Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud the former monarch of Saudi who died in January this year, which might be why the camera was put on the market by the family.

Ahmed & Mohammed between them are chairman and senior executives heads of multiple major Saudi financial institutions.

Mohammed's title is actually Sheikh, which he probably didn't have printed on the camera not to be seen to be too arrogant to the head of state.

I am sure this was just a gift to the head of state, or regional governor, as part of an ongoing relationship which is the norm in many countries.

They are educated in the US and blind speculation is that they are related to the ruling families.

I would have thought this edition may have some increased value in certain circles in Saudi but outside it would have a reduced value and most people would prefer a camera without such a personalised message engraved.

I was recently offered a beautiful a-la-carte MP in the UK which had "To my darling Mary, Love John xxx" engraved on the back. This engraving contributed to an approximately £500 reduction in cost from a main dealer.

Edited by colonel

Hopefully an unlabeled titanized top cap is still available at Leica for replacement.

It would be very uncomfortable at any border control on airports to be suspected as a possible thief in all manual controls or transilluminations of luggage.

In the US the best practice for foreign travel with expensive camera equipment is to go to US Customs before leaving the US and get a notarized certificate of ownership.  The traveler can easily prove that the equipment originated with him before travel commenced.  There is no charge and it only takes a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

In the US the best practice for foreign travel with expensive camera equipment is to go to US Customs before leaving the US and get a notarized certificate of ownership.  The traveler can easily prove that the equipment originated with him before travel commenced.  There is no charge and it only takes a few minutes.

I've travelled with Leicas, Rolleis and Hasselblads and never had a problem reentering the US.

Hopefully an unlabeled titanized top cap is still available at Leica for replacement.

It would be very uncomfortable at any border control on airports to be suspected as a possible thief in all manual controls or transilluminations of luggage.

that's just silly

Yep. Even if the customs officers stop you, they have to demonstrate the camera is not yours. I could have engraved the name of my fiancée, cat, dog, mum, pa, car, bike, etc. Or also Napoleon the Emperor or Konrad Adenauer. In this case the officers should go to their graves to ask if they had their cameras stolen.