Lens greasy cleaning tips

leica1215

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would bet this is the same product repair people use to clean SLR mirrors.  

Zeiss works well on grease as it is made for eyeglasses which can get greasy.   Liquid in spray bottles at Sam`s Club.   Premoistened  wipes in foil packs at Walmart.   Go to optics section in either.

The advantage of using the polymer cleaner is that it does not require 'wiping' … 'polymer peeling' is much safer … which is the main point of posting the suggestion and drawing readers' attention to the Astronomy Now article. 

Eyeglasses / spectacles lenses' wet cleaners (and some impregnated spectacles' lens cloths) are not necessarily suitable for camera lenses because they contain additives which can leave residues. Polymer cleaners will remove such residues. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I just spray some ROR on a well-worn hankie and scrub with that, finish with a microfiber cloth. ROR may or may not be available in your jurisdiction.

Which many others also practice … but please refer to actual reasons why i posted the polymer film cleaning method … IT'S SAFER

An old hanky might suit some but those aware of its shortcomings prefer safer proven methods. 

Perhaps I should have posted on a non-M sub-forum where maybe people take better care of their lenses and are more aware of the risk of using scrubbing with e.g. 'hankies'  :wub:

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I've always thought that a photographer's tie - made from one of these hi-tech lens cleaning cloths - would sell well. (Not that I'de ever be tempted to use such a thing myself - well perhaps on filters :D ).

the COOPH long sleeved shirts have a microfibre cloth sewn in behind the buttons.

I too, rarely touch the lens surface with anything, using a rocket blower to get rid of surface dust.  I clean both sides of the UV filters with Zeiss wipes - love them as the fluid has a very high vapor pressure, so they evaporate quickly with no residue.  I'd blow dust off the lens, followed by lightly circular wiping using the Zeiss wipes.

The other consideration is to be in a low static environment otherwise dust just seems to be attracted to optics.  Sometimes it helps to just humidify the room a little before you clean lenses or apply smartphone protective film.

• Like 1

Which many others also practice … but please refer to actual reasons why i posted the polymer film cleaning method … IT'S SAFER

An old hanky might suit some but those aware of its shortcomings prefer safer proven methods. 

Perhaps I should have posted on a non-M sub-forum where maybe people take better care of their lenses and are more aware of the risk of using scrubbing with e.g. 'hankies'  :wub:

dunk 

Crude, perhaps, but the method has served me (and my lenses) well for over forty years. It's not to be sniffed at.

• Like 1