Help epson R2880 problem

viramati

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All 

Have spent a whole day on the phone with epson and am getting v frustrated, they have been very helpful but can't resolve the issue.
I am on apple OS 10.10.5 printing out of Lr6  and using the advanced B&W printing setting which I have found for a longtime to be the most accurate way of getting consistently good B&W prints. I was doing a series of A3+ prints will my usual setting for an exhibition and the first print was perfect but then the printer asked me to change the Light Black cartridge and ever since then I con only get prints with a light blue/green tinge to them. I have reinstalled the driver, cleaned the jets, done a perfect nozzle check print, reset permissions done everything epson has asked me to, I have even changed the cartridge in case it was faulty but all to no avail. All I have done is consumed a load of ink and about 20 sheets of 6X$ paper. Any ideas

A print before problem started

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After problem started
Edited by viramati

Did this happen only after a switch to Yosemite?

Sometimes Apple software does funny things with color management.  With ABW, I'm sure you know to let printer manage colors, but even if set properly, things can happen.  You may, for instance, want to try different rendering intents (even though these should be disabled) to see if that makes a difference.  

I don't use ABW with my b/w prints, but I think there are also various tone settings that you may want to check (neutral, dark, etc.)

FWIW, a quick google search on your issue brought up a few other similar issues on other forums with Epson and ABW color tint problems, from earlier years, but with no apparent answers.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

as to yosemite no. I was doing a print run with my normal settings and after on print the 'Light black' cartridge (LK) was low so I changed it for the next print and didn't change any other settings and then the problem started. I have tried everythiing I and epson seem to know with no result. A nozzle check print shows that all is okay with nozzles showing no gaps etc.

By the way what do you mean here by ABW  'advanced black and white'

I turned to using the printer colour management as I have had so many problems with ICC profiles with B&W printing

Edited by viramati

By the way what do you mean here by ABW  'advanced black and white'

I turned to using the printer colour management as I have had so many problems with ICC profiles with B&W printing

Not sure what your question is.   I don't use ABW (advanced black/white) mode, preferring custom profiles.  But my understanding is that there are various color/tone settings one can access in the ABW mode, so I suggested checking them.  And I asked about rendering intent, i.e., perceptual versus relative colorimetric settings....did you try them?

If none of this works, you might want to get out of ABW mode for just a trial to see if the problem persists.

As noted, you're apparently not the first to have this Epson/ABW/tint mystery according to my quick search.

Jeff

Not sure what your question is.   I don't use ABW (advanced black/white) mode, preferring custom profiles.  But my understanding is that there are various color/tone settings one can access in the ABW mode, so I suggested checking them.  And I asked about rendering intent, i.e., perceptual versus relative colorimetric settings....did you try them?

If none of this works, you might want to get out of ABW mode for just a trial to see if the problem persists.

As noted, you're apparently not the first to have this Epson/ABW/tint mystery according to my quick search.

Jeff

Have tried with ICC profiles and it is even worse!! perceptual and relative are not available aren't available with ABW.

As I said what is odd is that it started happening after changing the cartridge and I am beginning to think that the printer is actually malfunctioning in some way. Maybe time for the updated model but it is expensive for the amount of in-house printing I do and had just bought a whole new set of cartridges for the 2880. Bummer all round. Anyway Jeff thanks for the input

I would call an Epson rep, or a third party Epson service rep, to see if you can work out a trade or discount on a newer machine.  In the US, several parties offer both repairs or refurbished machines with warranties.  I still use a 3800, and it's terrific....you might find one....and the 3880 is heavily discounted now that the P800 is out.  You should avoid the R3000, as it had issues, now apparently fixed with the P600.  Machines are relatively cheap....the costs are in the inks....so of course you'll want a machine that's filled.

BTW, there is no reason you should be having issues using good profiles....if your machine isn't broken, then you have other print workflow issues that a new printer will not likely fix.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the clue to your problem is that you changed a print cartridge. If you are working with a profiled system, ICC profiles are only valid for current ink and current paper batch which formed the basis of the profile. Although changing one or other should not make a significant difference, it can do and might have done during your frustrating session. I would get a new profile for your current media combination. (This suggestion is based on general printing knowledge, not your printer specifically)

Thanks all for the replies though I would repeat that I am not using profiles for B&W printing but  epson's 'Advanced black and white' printer control. I am doing this as I have had so many problems with icc profiles and various papers that in the end I found I got more consistent results from letting the printer control the process. This is the first time I have had this problem with this setup and am beginning to think it is a cartridge problem. God I hate printers :angry:

How old is your printer and how old was the ink cartridge you put in.

If the printer has had heavy use it could just be ready to be  replaced. If the cartridges are out of date that can cause problems.I assume you are using genuine Epson ink cartridges.

BrianP

How old is your printer and how old was the ink cartridge you put in.

If the printer has had heavy use it could just be ready to be  replaced. If the cartridges are out of date that can cause problems.I assume you are using genuine Epson ink cartridges.

BrianP

I am beginning to think it could be an ink problem as I see that a lot of the cartridges I still have in their packets have a 2015 date some of which are from the beginning of this year. Seeing most of the ones I have were bought this year (and 7 only a week ago) this is really annoying and I think dealers (calumet in this case) shouldn't keep stock that is right on it's sell by date. Problem is that I am not sure which are the ones I have just bought and even so I would be surprised if a cartridge just a couple of months out of date malfunctioned in this way. I had never really thought of checking dates before as I have never had this problem even though the printer doesn't get a lot of use. I may update any way to the Epson SC P600 which is the upgrade from the 2880

Edited by viramati

Without profiling, the system employs a lot of guess-work when processing a digital file. Age of ink is one thing: batch number is probably more important. Variations do exist between different batches, often very slight but enoughtto cause dissatisfaction with quality of output.

I may update any way to the Epson SC P600 which is the upgrade from the 2880

Actually an upgrade from the R3000 (post #6), which had been known to have some problems.

Inks last longer than you might think....that's where all the profits are, and of course the manufacturers will do everything possible to get you to buy more, including dates.  No wonder Epson machines show 'cartridge empty' when there's still 10%... or more... ink left (per Jon Cone tests).   If you're not printing much, it's important to run some test prints now and then, and it can't hurt to shake cartridges.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Always give the cartridge a good shake before installing . If you are thinking of upgrading have a look at the SC P 800. It is a little more expensive  but is cheaper to run / prints to A2 / and has better build quality.

BrianP

The first thing is to purchase a new Light Black cartridge, check its date, and install it. If that solves the problem, done. If it does not solve the problem, it would seem that the first change of cartridge triggered or jostled something in the printer, in which case the suggestion to lean on Epson for a replacement deal is a good one.