Epson 3880 Ink fill command ported to Mac?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 where I have just winterised it for 6 months storage. This is quite a laborious process, involving purchasing 9 of Jon Cone's refillable carts, moving chips over to them from an old set of empty original Epson carts then filling them with Piezoflush fluid (a messy business - three days later I still have candy pink fingers). The next issue is the selectable black inks on the Epson, either Matt or Photo Black. Using the power clean command only cleans/purges from the black ink you currently have selected. This means the required 3 power cleans to get the Piezoflush thoroughly through the lines and heads, is actually 6 power cleans by the time you have actually done it for both black inks. This used up an entire service/waste cart. Apparently for Windows only, there is a utility which contains a command "Service/Initial Ink Fill" which purges all lines including both blacks simultaneously. Since I would guess the majority of Epson 3880 users are also Mac users, I would be surprised if some smart coder had not ported this command over to Mac. However I cannot find it. Anyone got any ideas? 

You must not have seen Inkjet Mall videos on using Piezoflush....step one, latex gloves. B)

You might email Dana at Inkjet Mall (Vermont) for any assistance in making this process easier, if at all possible.  She and others there are very hands on and customer oriented.

Jeff

You must not have seen Inkjet Mall videos on using Piezoflush....step one, latex gloves. B)

You might email Dana at Inkjet Mall (Vermont) for any assistance in making this process easier, if at all possible.  She and others there are very hands on and customer oriented.

Jeff

Jeff, 

I started with latex gloves but they were not very thin ones and I found it just too fiddly with them and after tearing one, gave up. The pink fingers went away in about two days. I got the information from Jon Cone of Piezography about the Windows program to flush all 9 carts at one time. He had not heard of anyone porting it over to Mac but agreed that it would seem strange if nobody had tried.

I have spoken to the folks who sell the Windows service CD for the 3880 and they say you can only run it on a PC running XP or Windows 7 and nothing else. It also will not run on a Mac via Fusion or Parallels as it runs via the Windows printer driver for the 3880. I suspect I am at a dead end and will have to persuade my daughter to give me her old HP laptop, especially as she has seemed to take possession of the 2009 family 13" MacBook Pro. I will then buy the Epson 3800/3880 Windows service disc. Apparently there are all sorts of test, diagnostic routines, resets and utilities in it that are worthwhile. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Dana works with Jon and is their tech person....she still may have some other useful hints/techniques based on customer experience....maybe worth an email.

Jeff

I sent the query originally to Dana but was advised that she has closed the tech advice email account and was referred on to Jon. 

Unless things have changed, she provides good advice by phone....at least for us in States.  I suggested email only because of your remote location, but all my dealings have been by personal conversation.  Jon is the guru, of course, but the service team sees a lot and gets a lot of calls.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1