lokomotive breath......

Suuumm55

• 4 weeks later...

A bygone era.   The diesel overcame it,  mostly EMD locos in USA.

EMD did a loco demonstration  and had a product ready when the war came.   The steam locos were basically worn out 1942-45 hauling war stuff.  

A few builders tried to get into the diesel market,  but when the government asked if they had a proven design so they could get steel allocation, the answer was no.  

So a monopoly was born that lasted decades.

You like the steam, I like the whistle .  Nothing like a steam whistle.   Diesels have a sh-t horn , but still have the bell by law.   I can`t remember how many brass bells were lost in the production departments.  They were a challenge through the `70`s.  Then came the steel bell.  Not the same.

Railroad clubs still run steam on  excursions.   They have to be well cared for to run on the class A tracks because major RR do not want broken down trains on their main lines.  Fuel is not a problem,  but water is.  Water towers are long gone and steam locos gobble water.   Usually we have to get a fire dept to refill the tender at various points.

Water and the fact steam was a maintenance frankenstein is what killed them.  

A bygone era.   The diesel overcame it,  mostly EMD locos in USA.

EMD did a loco demonstration  and had a product ready when the war came.   The steam locos were basically worn out 1942-45 hauling war stuff.  

A few builders tried to get into the diesel market,  but when the government asked if they had a proven design so they could get steel allocation, the answer was no.  

So a monopoly was born that lasted decades.

You like the steam, I like the whistle .  Nothing like a steam whistle.   Diesels have a sh-t horn , but still have the bell by law.   I can`t remember how many brass bells were lost in the production departments.  They were a challenge through the `70`s.  Then came the steel bell.  Not the same.

Railroad clubs still run steam on  excursions.   They have to be well cared for to run on the class A tracks because major RR do not want broken down trains on their main lines.  Fuel is not a problem,  but water is.  Water towers are long gone and steam locos gobble water.   Usually we have to get a fire dept to refill the tender at various points.

Water and the fact steam was a maintenance frankenstein is what killed them.  

there is someone who specializes more on the background knowledge, which can make a sometimes thoughtful - thanks