Looking at first leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello I am looking at getting my first leica! I am looking at getting a m6 classic I just have a few questions. I wear glasses and I hear that people who wear glasses should get a .58 magnification is this true? Would I be fine with .72 magnification? Another question is are the m6 classics as reliable as people say they are and how much money should I set aside for a service? Also what should I look over when looking at a m6? Thank you so much for help I appreciate it! This is the one I am looking at   http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/5216118730.html

It looks good - but this says only it wasnot used too much. More interesting ist, when it was used for the last time. If this lies back more than lets say four or five years, the camera should go to a CLA. Costs vary.

Consider that it is a very early M6 from LEITZ, not later LEICA. Maybe good for an collector, not so good for a user.

I fear, nobody can tell you more just by looking at the pictures...

At least take a roll of film and try different usages: long and short exposures, leave the cam in bright ligt for two days to detect light leaks from the finder, HEAR the exposure times, do you hear the little humming, after the shutter has closed at long times? Compare the light meter with an external one. Do exactly parallel shooting with a second camera you can rely on.

Last word to the price: in the upper range. If you can waite, look for a later M6 or M6TTL for around 800 - 900 bucks...

Edited by halo
  • Like 1

The finder- magnification depends on what lenses you prefer. As a user without glasses, I would prefer the 0,72- Finder for

35  - to 90mm lenses.

But there is also the possibility to use correction lenses instead of the normal eyepiece.

I also would prefer a late M6 or M6 ttl. They are both reliable. The TTL- Model has just TTL- Flash control and a bigger dial for the

shutter speeds, both the normal M6 and the M6 TTL do have TTL- metering.

I would check if the finder is clear, the meter is working, dials and winding act smooth, no leaked out old battery in the battery- compartment, long shutter- speeds ok, no Zinc- Pest (results from acid of some leather-bags),if the selector for the framelines is working well. A working M6 in normal used condition should begin at 750 Euro up to 1000, depending on overall condition.

The M& TTL might be a bit more expensive, than a regular M6

Sorry for not responding I realized I put this post in the German section and wasn't expecting a response thanks for the help! I found another one through adorama and it is $39 more than the one on craigslist but there is a 6 month warranty so I think that is worth the small extra money. Any good starter 50mm lenses? 

I don't know the lens. But why not? Its a beginning and it should be quite cheap compared with the pre ASPH Summilux. Use it and you will get known what is good an what is unsufficient. Then you can grade up - In a Leica 50mm lens or in other focal lengths.