Radio trigger for the Q- any users have experience?

sturkel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  Just in case you are still interested, Iv'e been using My new "Q" with a Pocketwizard X and an Einstein Flash. The Einstein has the Pocketwizard MC2.  Things work great, Manual mode only of course.  I've used the PW X to trigger a Nikon flash (with another PW X) also with good results.  

Regards,

Robert

• 3 months later...

Flash still has it's applications but in the topic of this article really consider using good quality LED panels, you see what you get and can adjust your light perfectly before exposing, you are not restricted to the camera's flash sync speed, use 1/2000th if you want and most importantly, they are simple and work with every Leica every made :) - no sync'ing issues, no TTL issues.

They also give a softer, more controlled light, no light box required, and the better ones also let you adjust the colour temp.

If you consider the cost of these vs a flash unit, two transceivers and light boxes the answwer is pretty obvious.

Put all your flash and associated gear on Ebay while you might still get a decent price, soon they'll be considered pretty worthless IMO.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a new trigger for the Q that works very well, small , low cost, and funny enough it is called the FlashQ.  All manual of course but with such a small footprint,  sits very nice on the camera.

+1 for the FlashQ: it works realy well (only in manual mode) and is small enough for a camera like the Q.

• 5 months later...

+1 for the FlashQ: it works realy well (only in manual mode) and is small enough for a camera like the Q.

I have the FlashQ set now, but I can't make it trigger. It works fine with my Fuji X100 – am I being stupid and missing a setting? I have Flash set to ON on the Q, shutter to 500...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Flash still has it's applications but in the topic of this article really consider using good quality LED panels, you see what you get and can adjust your light perfectly before exposing, you are not restricted to the camera's flash sync speed, use 1/2000th if you want and most importantly, they are simple and work with every Leica every made :) - no sync'ing issues, no TTL issues.

They also give a softer, more controlled light, no light box required, and the better ones also let you adjust the colour temp.

If you consider the cost of these vs a flash unit, two transceivers and light boxes the answwer is pretty obvious.

Put all your flash and associated gear on Ebay while you might still get a decent price, soon they'll be considered pretty worthless IMO.

LED Panels have no where near as much power as flash, they also lack the ability to freeze motion like flash (a function of the lower power)

They are great for a lot of stuff though, I really like the Yongnuo YN600, YN900 panels and the YN360 strip light (with RGB and an app to control the colour)

• Like 1

My FlashQ arrived and I fitted it to my Q and my Leica SF40 flash. No matter what I try, I cannot get the flash to fire during camera exposure. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried all the settings on the SF40 (i.e. TTL; A; M; SD; SF and video) - no effect. I've tried all the various SF40 sync speeds in manual - no luck. I've tried Auto on the Q, manual speed, manual aperture and both manual speed and aperture - no flash. 

If I press the test button on the FlashQ flash unit, the flash fires instantly - so there is a connection there.  If I press the test button on the FlashQ camera unit, there is a delay of maybe a second, then the flash fires - so the two components are seemingly connected, but that delay seems a bit strange. 

I'm stuck. Can anyone advise?

Problem solved: It helps if the FlashQ camera unit is in the hot shoe the correct way round  :rolleyes:

A very neat little device. However, it's a simple Bluetooth trigger. Thus, the flash exposure must be set manually - but no big deal. I've set my SF40 set to 24mm lens and 1/128. So far, so perfect.

Edited by Speenth
  • Like 2

yongnuo 600ex-rt with some generic canon radio trigger

1.7 at 1/2000th shutter speed - cool :)

attachicon.gifL1030285.jpg

Do you mean that I can use my Canon ST-E3-RT trigger on the Q (no TTL and no HSS) without risk of overcurrent or overvoltage ?

If it is true, then I would also try also my "for Canon" Profoto radio trigger to use my Q and trigger my Profoto strobes. For now, I am just reluctant to try it since I fear the overcurrent or overvoltage side effect on my beloved Q...

Edited by Bohns

Do you mean that I can use my Canon ST-E3-RT trigger on the Q (no TTL and no HSS) without risk of overcurrent or overvoltage ?

If it is true, then I would also try also my "for Canon" Profoto radio trigger to use my Q and trigger my Profoto strobes. For now, I am just reluctant to try it since I fear the overcurrent or overvoltage side effect on my beloved Q...

The Canon ST-E3 wont work on anything but a canon.

The Q has a leaf shutter which typically doesnt have a sync limit (you run into timing issues, like the shutter has closed before the light actually starts to fire, but that can normally be fixed with a cable to sync)

You wont have any over voltage/current issues with a radio trigger - the normal issue is older flash units having high voltage at the hot shoe connection or Pc socket connection - the radio trigger puts a radio link between your camera and that voltage.

I'm very interested in using Canon flashes with the Q. I've not been successful using the ST-E3-RT. I have been successful placing a 600EX-RT on the Q and having it trigger another 600EX-RT. Manual mode. Using the flash "light" to trigger the other unit. Not RF. It works. I plan to use this to photograph hummingbirds this spring. I plan to fire 5 flashes simultaneously using this scheme. I know it works and should be fun. I'll post photos IF I'm successful. :-)

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

I was curious.  I tried my Paul C Buff CyberSync transmitter and receiver on the Q.  They are the same units I use with my Canon 7D.  Works fine.   Almost.  The almost is that there seems to be something wrong with my transmitter in that it will only fire once.  I need to remove the battery and re-install to get it to fire again.  That's not a Q issue... the problem occurs when using the test button on the transmitter off camera, too.