Radio trigger for the Q- any users have experience?

sturkel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ono triggering and controlling the power output manually via radio using a Canon 430 EX.

attachicon.gifmono_.jpg

The V6 doesn't care about the camera being used.

Hang on a second - that 430EX is in TTL mode.

is the Cactus trigger acting as a translator between the Leica TTL system and the Canon TTL system ?

or is that how manual mode is done ? you set it on the transmitter and the receiver fools the Canon TTL system into giving it the required power ?

• Like 1

So having looked into this it appears the Cactus radio mimics the signals for the TTL logic and allows remote signal for power management of the flash.  Basically turning off the flash at a certain level.  This is not true TTL logic only a form of manual control of the output level of the flash.

i have ordered a set to try on the Q and some Nikon flash units. 

So having looked into this it appears the Cactus radio mimics the signals for the TTL logic and allows remote signal for power management of the flash. Basically turning off the flash at a certain level. This is not true TTL logic only a form of manual control of the output level of the flash.

i have ordered a set to try on the Q and some Nikon flash units.

Ahah, very clever !

So much nicer being able to remotely control the flash output from the camera instead of having to walk over isnt it ?

Ok using Wistro AD360, all taken at f1.7 1/2000 ISO 100 - 1/128th power on flash

Also anyway I can disable the live exposure? I want to do low key portraits and when i half press the shutter i lose view as it goes black.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

Photo taken at 11am with bright sunlight

F16, 1/1250th, ISO 100 - with 1/2th Flash power

After some tests, 1/2000th will not work above 1/128th shutter speed. But 1/1250th will probably with 1/1 too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a new trigger for the Q that works very well, small , low cost, and funny enough it is called the FlashQ.  All manual of course but with such a small footprint,  sits very nice on the camera.

http://lightpixlabs.com

• Like 4

Update on the Cactus 6 which arrived in yesterdays post.  First off the system works just as described manual control of any flash that you attach to it.  I also got the flash units from them that have radios built in and so useful to be able to control output from the camera by groups.  This will be a great addition to our setups for events.

As far as using on the Leica Q well,  the photo speaks for it self.  The radio is way too big for the camera and as such hinders some of the controls.  Looks like will only be able to use on the larger cameras, D3, DF etc.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

+1 on the Cactus system. I have the V6 units and their rf60 speedlight. Everything works with my Canon 430 speedlight, the rf60, my EOS 6D and my Leica D-Lux 109. Good to know they work with the Q if I ever upgrade. You can remotely set 4 flash groups on/off and adjust power in very small increments if you change a menu setting. 

• 1 month later...

I've set it up now for back button focusing without AEL (Just AFL)

I can use this to focus without the screen going dark.

I use  PocketWizards Plus III and it still gets dark with that setting, they should have a fw update on that, I also use a Sony A7II and there's a setting when you can turn off the EVF's effects when using triggers and never goes dark. It's a minor distraction that i guess for some needs to get used to, it just. defeats the purpose of a having a high sync speed

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I am considering in using the Q on some events and need advice for basic radio triggers (non TTL) to fire remote strobes.  Similar to the pocket wizard radios.  Anyone have any experience in doing so? 

When I was trying out one on an Olympus camera in the past  (using my Nikon radios)  somehow it messed up the camera.

This is why I am asking for any experienced users that have had real use on the Q.

Thanks for the help.

I've used mine with Profoto B1 heads and using the Air Remote..........works like a charm