Confusing in many types of Leica camera

Leica Frog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To Leica CEO.

Nowadays, it's very fast in launching of Leica new model ( from C-Lux, D-Lux, V-Lux, X-type, T-type and lastest Q-type), it seems Leica camera try to run for all alphabets, I think there're too much, you should slow down your competition to Japan company marketing way and back to your strength in Leica M or S model in quality & development for your customer satisfaction, I feel boring of marketing strategy by launching the new type of camera every year.

That's my IMHO, many thanks.

Wittaya -

Actually, Leica's strategy makes  sense.  Consider this analogy:  Porsche, that maker of excellent sports cars was losing a significant amount of money.  Then they broadened their line away from their core market of sports cars to include SUVs (such as the Cayenne) and sedans (Panamera), and generated a lot of negative comments (some on this forum), including "they've lost their way" and "the new models will never be profitable."  As it turned out the new models were wildly profitable, and that success allowed Porsche to continue developing and releasing sports cars.

I suspect the "alphabet" cameras not only aid Leica tpo achieve its increased market share, but provide funding to continue to develop products in their core business.

• Like 1

To Leica CEO.

Nowadays, it's very fast in launching of Leica new model ( from C-Lux, D-Lux, V-Lux, X-type, T-type and lastest Q-type), it seems Leica camera try to run for all alphabets, I think there're too much, you should slow down your competition to Japan company marketing way and back to your strength in Leica M or S model in quality & development for your customer satisfaction, I feel boring of marketing strategy by launching the new type of camera every year.

That's my IMHO, many thanks.

I said the same myself in another thread recently. 

We have the C, D, T, V, Q and X models which compete for the same general type of user to lesser or greater degrees.

The M and S are niche. The Q is probably the best of the rest. And we have a new system camera to be released shortly, which will certainly compete with their own T. 

If all of these lines are indeed profitable then great. But I'm not convinced that they can be.