Badly scratched M9 monitor - need help!

anguyen5195

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, my usual M9 case disappeared for some reasons and I decided to carry it by my backpack instead...without any wrapping. As a result, the LCD monitor is badly scratched and there's this nasty whitish line across the screen together with various other marks. Since Leica Germany is not going to change the plastic monitor (I have no intention of upgrading to sapphire), is there any way to alleviate the problem, like applying screen protectors that can mask the scratches? Thank you guys!

Edited by anguyen5195
  • Like 1

Yes, a screen protector will certainly mitigate the problem. Do not fall into the trap of trying to polish the screen. As it is coated, you will only make matters worse.

Leica will indeed not replace the plastic cover only, but will replace the whole LCD unit. An operation that calls for dismantling the camera completely. The price of the unit is the least of the cost, so you can just as well opt for a sapphire screen as a plastic one on repair, it won't make much difference.

BTW, doesn't your insurance cover this?

Oh so that's how it works, thanks! Even with those scratches I still find the $1,295 price tag kinda unacceptable, especially when it is more of a cosmetic matter rather than technical problems. And no, I don't have an insurance cover and my warranty is long gone...Still, I wonder if that sort of scratches will affect the coating and in turn mess up images on screen? I haven't been able to check that since my M9 is currently in Germany to replace the corroded sensor. 

Edited by anguyen5195

cell phone protector cut to size.  They will not stick to sapphire screens.   

I think that's partly why the sapphire screen costs so much - like you pay a lump sum for divine protection

This is what I have on mine. Has taken hits otherwise reserved for the screen.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483857-REG/Giottos_SP8250_SP8250_AEGIS_Professional_Glass.html

Thanks, I also wanted to try that out but I have heard that the Giottos can be difficult to remove properly...Still, I would take that into consideration :)

This is what I have on mine. Has taken hits otherwise reserved for the screen.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483857-REG/Giottos_SP8250_SP8250_AEGIS_Professional_Glass.html

I don't see how a glass screen protector would work in this circumstance? The point about a plastic screen protector (the more flexible the better) is that it will stick to the scratches and so mask to some extent the damage, the same way rubbing spit over the LCD screen will temporarily make the scratches transparent again. A glass screen protector won't do the same thing.

I agree with Jaap that polishing it would make the whole thing worse, and a plastic screen protector of some sort (try a few options) is a possible fix. One other thing the OP could try is to touch the scratches in with a clear lacquer if a steady hand and a fine brush are available. They could use an auto lacquer, or more benign although not as tough Johnson Wax 'Klear' floor shine (available from your local supermarket), apply it thinly to the scratch and undiluted. A clear plastic screen over the top of that may be the very best solution. 

Steve

• Like 1

I agree with Jaap that polishing it would make the whole thing worse, and a plastic screen protector of some sort (try a few options) is a possible fix. One other thing the OP could try is to touch the scratches in with a clear lacquer if a steady hand and a fine brush are available. They could use an auto lacquer, or more benign although not as tough Johnson Wax 'Klear' floor shine (available from your local supermarket), apply it thinly to the scratch and undiluted. A clear plastic screen over the top of that may be the very best solution. 

Steve

The lacquer option sounds kinda risky to me but I will keep that in mind, thanks you :). I would definitely try out the plastic screen protector first then maybe apply a glass one over it.

• Like 1