Leica Q App and iOS9 not working

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS9 this morning. While the Q connects to the network, or sets its own network, the Q app on the iPhone no longer can find the camera. Have tried rebooting and reinstalling the profiles (via QR code). Has anyone gotten the Q App to work with iOS9? Hopefully I am just doing something wrong on my end...

The T App works fine

Edited by starshipstu

Who cares? WiFi on the Q is just a gadget. Try it once and forget it. It does not transfer DNGs nor bulk jpgs. It's totally useless except maybe for the remote mode shooting the odd selfie. Moreover, it's unreliable and it crashes the Q once in a while. Then, the only way to resurrect the camera is by removing the battery and putting it back in. [From an earlier post in another thread]

For what it's worth, I just tested the Leica app on an iPhone 4S and it works OK. If only it could transfer DNGs in bulk, I would be happy.

For now, it's back to swapping SD-cards or connecting an USB-cable which is quite a hassle. I also think that frequent insertion of the cable will damage the receptacle connector at the Q's end.

While post-processing the DNG with Lightroom is the best option, it is very useful to be able to quickly upload a picture directly to my iPhone, do a simple edit in LR Mobile, and post it.

Probably should have waited, any new iOS update always takes a few iterations to sort out some of the bugs on non-core apps.

The app stopped working around Beta 4 of iOS 9, and it's still broken. It's not working on iOS 9.1 Beta 1 as well, so you should keep your iPhones on 8.4.1 until a fix comes along.

The problem also affects other cameras with Wi-Fi connection.

• Like 2

Emailed Leica yesterday about this issue, after a contact with them on Twitter.

Reply just arrived, seems like we'll have to wait a little longer to update our iPhones.

We can't offer you a solution at this moment. But we are working on a firmware update

to correct this error.

It will be released by the middle of October 2015. Thank you for your patience.

• Like 6

It's actually a great tool. I haven't used it on the Q but I've used it on the T. It acts like a remote monitor when shooting video and a trigger with live view. It allows you to step away from camera to arrange a scene for things like fashion or macro work. The latter is especially useful because back in the day I spent so much time moving objects around then walking back to the camera to see what I had just done. Now I just have the phone in front of me while I move objects and I get to see exactly what it's going to look like in real time. So yeah if you never use a tripod or set your camera down on a hard surface to take a photo then maybe it's useless, but you're just a small slice of the pie.

Who cares? WiFi on the Q is just a gadget. Try it once and forget it. It does not transfer DNGs nor bulk jpgs. It's totally useless except maybe for the remote mode shooting the odd selfie. Moreover, it's unreliable and it crashes the Q once in a while. Then, the only way to resurrect the camera is by removing the battery and putting it back in. [From an earlier post in another thread]

• Like 1

I don't think iOS supports DNG regardless, right? I think it's only the JPEGs that can be uploaded via Leica app or Camera Connection cable from Apple.

Not totally correct. 

With Apple camera connection cable both jpg and dng transfer to iPad (I have iPad Air on 9.0). AFAIK no camera can transfer via wifi dng/raw files to iDevices. 

• Like 1

I had the same problem. The Leica Q app stopped working when I upgraded to IOS 9. Now on 9.0.1 and it still fails. (Separate issue: a friend upgraded to 9.0.2 today and it took him two hours to get his phone to work.)

I *do* use the app. Not so much to control the camera, but on the larger iPhone 6+, it's great way to review the images. Very responsive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...