Inconsistent DX issues M7

KarlKani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been getting on a gain off again DX issues with my M7.  Sometimes I get it with ASA dial set to my ASA, sometimes i get it with DX mode.  Sometimes not problem at all, in fact it hadn't happened in a while before last night when I was talking some long exp shots with slow film.  It really bugged out, going btwn flashing ASA to flickering exp times in the RF.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Like 1

A quick inquiry - does your camera have the physical electrical contacts for the DX code on the film cassette, or has it been upgraded to the optical reader?  My M7, one of the first units made, had the older contacts and developed the issue you described.  When I sent it in, Leica upgraded it to the optical DX reader free of charge.  If you send yours in, also ask them to clean and seal the viewfinder eyepiece, another item often requiring service on the early M7's, also free.

Eric

• Like 2

I have two of the early M7s, and from time to time I was frustrated by the mechanical-contact DX system. So far it has worked when I manually set it at the rear wheel, so now that is what I always do. So is the problem you experience one in which the wheel definitely does not work when set manually?

Thanks for any info. I'm thinking of sending both of mine to New Jersey, but not if my work-around is assured.

Oh, isn't it a great camera? I love it.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

+1 ! it only takes a few seconds to set it! 

robert

I have used 4 M7s with the old DX reader. None of them worked properly. Its just a cr@p design.

After using an MP I wondered why I even bothered setting it to DX

My understanding is that Leica still do the upgrade to the optical reader free, if you can be without your camera for 3 months .....

I've also had these DX issues. The optical reader can also fail I've heard so I just set it manually.

The flashing Exposure Comp dot also happens but moving the EC +/- 1/3 stop cleans the contacts and it's OK again. Move things around to keep the contacts clean.

Your batteries may be low/old or need cleaning the contacts too.

Lincoln