Some of my personal favourites from my recent UK trip

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All shot with the Leica S-006 & either my 30mm, 70mm or 120mm S lenses

1/. Going back in time

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2/. Calm Waters

3/. Old & New

4/. Hartland Devon

• Like 7

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

5/. A few Crab baskets

6/. Tree Tunnel

7/.  Wells cathedral Somerset

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

8/. Scotland with a hint of France 

9/ Dubai nightscape taken on the way to the UK

• Like 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Thanks for the comments.

The new Leica S system (to me) is quite an easy camera to navigate through when out shooting with it. After taking quite a few shots on the trip to the UK with this camera here are a few things that I found out.

The camera has a few quirks, for example when it goes to sleep (you set this up in the menu) it can be tricky to get it to wake up in a hurry for a quick snap shot. the only way I can get it to wake up quickly is to press the shutter release first then it will allow you to use the AF and then take a picture. If for example you just pick the camera up to your face and try and take a shot.......forget it, its going to wait up to 30 seconds before it will allow you to take a picture.

Using the 30mm lens for anything other than landscape shots (without people in it) forget it/ I find that it just makes people look short and fat.

The 120mm is fantastic for shooting people and also planned panorama shots. The 70mm is a great allrounder except my AF crapped out after the first week of my 3 week holiday (bummer) but could still be used in manual focus.

All in all I do like the camera as a landscape camera and also as a portraiture camera, its just not something that I would want to take out on a walk about (street photography) kind of shoot as its just too "in your face " if you know what I mean..............hopefully Leica will come out with that BS AF M soon so then I would have all corners covered :)

One last thing its perfect for anything shot on a tripod with either cable release or using the built in timer, its quit tricky using the longer lenses hand held due to the need to have at least 2 preferably 3 times focal length shutter speed (unless you are built like a brick sh{t house....kind of like me as there tends to be quit a lot of shutter/mirror slap going on during the exposure.

Leica Malaysia just sent me an invitation to go and try out the new Leica S-007 on Tuesday next week but looking at the fact that I never shoot video and don't like the bulk of the S for a street camera then I don't see the point of getting one............I will see if I am in the same camp after Tuesday :) :) :) 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

10/. Clovelly Lifeboat Station Leica S-006 120mm

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

11/. Trout Fishing on the River Tamar in North Devon

12/. Windswept on Dartmoor

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments.

All in all I do like the camera as a landscape camera and also as a portraiture camera, its just not something that I would want to take out on a walk about (street photography) kind of shoot as its just too "in your face " if you know what I mean..............hopefully Leica will come out with that BS AF M soon so then I would have all corners covered ............I never shoot video and don't like the bulk of the S for a street camera

Hi Neil,

I recall the thread when you were discussing selling your M gear for the S, some questioned whether the S would be suitable as a camera to carry around all day and you were quite certain that it would be - I take it you've changed your mind about this then?

Genuinely interested in your opinion, not trolling!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

13/. Cant go to Dartmoor without taking a picture of a Pony

14/. A Rock Star

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Neil,

I recall the thread when you were discussing selling your M gear for the S, some questioned whether the S would be suitable as a camera to carry around all day and you were quite certain that it would be - I take it you've changed your mind about this then?

Genuinely interested in your opinion, not trolling!

Dragging the S system around town shooting Street is not for the S System........... I plan to buy the new AF Leica coming out in October :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

15/. Can you feel the energy??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

This picture has incredible detail due to the fact it was shot with the Leica S with a 120mm lens and 14 files stitched together in PS.....nearly killed my Mac Pro :) :) :)

• Like 2