Airport Travel advice m240p??

r7photo

Will Tsa want to handle m?

Thanks

If you are traveling within the USA, it is extremely unlikely that a TSA agent will want to examine your camera. I leave my batteries in the bodies (sometimes three M's in a bag) and have never encountered a problem.

There is a random number of explosive materials residue checks that TSA stations run every day, and, if you are a lucky winner, who knows what the agent will be swabbing that day  :wacko: ? But this is an innocuous procedure for law abiding travelers.

I have encountered airport security checks at Frankfurt and Munich, when boarding jumbos, where the officers wanted to open and see my cameras. But because the camera gear I have now is German, the officers always seem pleased. Actually, years ago, even the Swedish 903SWC did not offend the German officer.

Edited by gpwhite

Nobody ever checked my spare batteries either, but the individual packing is an official rule. One is allowed to leave the battery in the camera as well.

Digital cameras are not a problem, a film one can pose a problem if you have a less knowledgeable officer, as he cannot review the image. Make sure your camera, phone and laptop are sufficiently charged to have them functioning.

I know it is all nonsense, but that is the price we pay for (fake) security when flying.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As gpwhite says, it is unlikely that TSA will examine your camera. I routinely take multiple cameras (battery inserted) and lenses and they have yet to handle any of my cameras.

If you are chosen for a random residue check they will open your bag and will will wipe a swab across some contents of the bag. They are very careful and respectful of your belongings.

My cameras have been inspected only once in the US -- in San Francisco.  Scores of trips.  In Europe, they were looked at in Berlin  quite carefully.  The inspector said "Hm Leicas'  very nice".

I travel frequently with my M. Sometimes they asked me to take it out of my bay after x-ray but that's it.

Once I got a detailed inspection. The security guy asked me to show the camera, then all lenses where inspected and so on. After a detailed inspection he confessed that he never had the opportunity to get a M in his hand and he couldn't resist ;-) I offered him to take a shot, and when I left he had a big smile on his face...

In recent years, I have had TSA ask me to open my camera case so they could see the cameras and lenses, but that was it.  They didn't ask to touch or otherwise meddle with my gear.  Several years ago, I had to explain to a TSA gal why my M4-P could not be turned on to show that it was a camera; after I explained, she waived me through with an air of indifference.  :rolleyes:

People who work in the airports are 'normal' people as it happens. Some might even be into photography and might even use Leica's themselves!

Those who aren't into photography probably won't know what kind of camera an M is. Bear in mind that these people are also subject to spot checks - 'dummy' passengers with something odd or prohibited in their luggage, which if unchecked can cost them their jobs.

People who work in the airports are 'normal' people as it happens. Some might even be into photography and might even use Leica's themselves!

Those who aren't into photography probably won't know what kind of camera an M is. Bear in mind that these people are also subject to spot checks - 'dummy' passengers with something odd or prohibited in their luggage, which if unchecked can cost them their jobs.

I used to be one of those people - they are most decidedly not normal!  :p

Edited by Carlos Danger