Leica T Secondary system

freitz

Considering picking up a T as a secondary system and for my wife to use for baby photos. Curious after a year what every ones thoughts are on the system now?

As a system camera the 'T' has potential; in common with other 'T' users I've been waiting patiently for additional lenses.  Excellent ergonomics. The T-app is of no use for serious photography because it doesn't cater for DNG images.

dunk 

It depends on your shooting style and preferences. You will find a lot of people on this forum who love the T as a primary or secondary system. For me, it's the unloved step child that remains at the bottom of the closet. With T lenses, the autofocus is slow, too slow to be acceptable for me. The EVF is great but protrudes akwardly and can snap off easily when stowed while on the camera. With EVF, shot-to-shot times are very slow because the EVF image stays frozen for longer than a second even with autoreview off (although you can take shots in the meantime). AWB can be erratic even between shots in the same light and setting. I have not warmed to the user interface though it's not a problem for me either. The only redeeming feature for me is the ability to use M lenses, but this is counterbalanced by the fact that the sensor is not full frame.

I have seen wonderful shots taken with the T, and in more capable hands than mine, I'm sure the T can shine. But for me, it's one of my least favourite cameras I've ever owned.

The T-app is of no use for serious photography because it doesn't cater for DNG images.

dunk 

Errm.....

It does take a DNG, albeit along with a jpeg, but one can "hide" the jpeg in LR.

As dunk says  - it's a versatile camera, and not only with legacy lenses.

Edited by spylaw4

Errm.....

It does take a DNG, albeit along with a jpeg, but one can "hide" the jpeg in LR.

As dunk says  - it's a versatile camera, and not only with legacy lenses.

The T-App enables taking a DNG ??  Don't think that's possible.  Discussing the App's capabilities … not the T's menu options.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I use the T as a secondary system after trying several other cameras.

I think the T is strong in the following areas:
+nice size - just right

+very good user interface; very good auto ISO-implementation 

+reasonable fast with the 23mm and 18-56mm lens

+very good and natural IQ, specially great skin tones

on the other side:

- very slow AF when using the Telezoom;

- when you go above ISO 1600 colors get low saturation (question of sensor size/pixel density)

- limited number of primes available

I would say if you plan to use it in good light/daylight outside, its great;

For use in lower light I love the Nikon df with fast primes.

I enjoy the T a lot, it is not perfect, and I sometimes miss focus, but its a pleasure to use and the IQ is very good.

• Like 1

I am both a long time M shooter and more recently got the T as a secondary system for convenience of having something smaller and lighter plus to continue using my M lenses instead of having to purchase T lenses.  For me, made total sense as far as cost and the quality of the images I am ecstatic about!  If you don't already have M lenses, the cost of this system is quite high.  If money is not an issue, then it's an excellent choice.  But, not a perfect solution.  As many mention, the T can be slow so if you are trying to capture family photos.....and waiting for the camera.....frowns emerge.....you might want to consider something quicker.  If money is not an object, I would look at the Leica Q.  If wanting a system camera, Leica may have something faster on the horizon.  But may be months away! 

Oh! I see you are already an M shooter from you post and flickr photos!  Nice!  Then you are are probably very fast at focusing, etc.  Go for the T!  

Edited by billinghambaglady

Thanks all for the feedback. I will add some background.

I shoot the M240 - 50lux and 35 lux. All I ever needed.

Wife has a a6000 with a 35 1.8 prime shoots 90% of the time. Claims her photos do not have the Leica pop she is looking for from her Sony camera. Thought about the T since she seems to be liking the leica brand and culture. The Q, hard for me to reason almost 5k for a fixed lens system and a toy for my wife to play with. I would use it as a secondary.

Need - Secondary for me esp. in lower light situations. I find at dinners at night, the M with any lens isn't the best choice. Maybe I would be better suited with a A7s as a secondary.

My wife need is for travel photography and baby photos of our infant. Mostly inside in less than ideal conditions.

I hope this helps.

-Fred

Well, all I can add is can't go too wrong with the T for what you describe if your wife is looking for similar quality and the Leica look in the photographs.  Worse case it becomes your back up to the M.  I would try the T.  Maybe one you can have her test at the store?  Me, I don't shoot with T lenses on it so can't comment on the auto focus.  I have no trouble manually focusing with M lenses using the large EVF which is essential. It is a joy to handle and shoot with.

Best of luck!

Agree with all the above.

My only comment from using only M lenses is the "lack", in my case of a wide.

My M lenses are 28, 35, 50, similar to most. I would like to also use something about 21mm, but didn't really want to deviate from Leica.

Possibly I will try the CV21 and see.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I consider this also for a second camera. I have two burning questions though.

1. Will I notice a huge difference in quality between the 42MP Sony A7RII which is my main camera and the 16MP T?? Will I notice a big quality difference bearing in mind also that we talk of 42MP full-frame and 16MP APS-C?

I understand one of the major benefits of 42MP is being able to crop quite small pieces of an image and still have a sharp usable image. 

2. Is there a model of the T on the horizon with say 24MP or higher?

I quite like the way the menus are organised on the T, it seems quite logical and I am used to touch control from iPhone, iPad, don't see that as a bad thing as compared to mega levels of menus to wade through as on a Sony.

Size and Weight even with just the two lenses the 18-56 and 55-135 and the T, would be perfect in a Billingham Hadley Pro or similar case.

I dont have an a7rii but a a7ii and the T.

Color wise I even prefer the T output over the Sony.

Dynamic range is not up to a good ff-sensor but pretty good.

User interface and handling...I really like the T a lot in this regard, except AF with the Telezoom to be very slow.

My favorite lens for the T is the 23mm.

Thanks Tom, I can accept a slower Telezoom as I rarely shoot moving things. I do a lot of Classic cars, so the 18-55 and the 56-135 would be really good lenses to have.

I suspect I would get on with the interface being an Apple user. Going to have a look soon at a T, and hope that on the 22nd it is not announced to discontinue it.

I like the sound of what you say about the colour output.

I used to have a Digilux 1, and I still like the images that created.

Actually I handled one today. Shouldn't have. It felt perfect with the 18-56 zoom, nice size, very quiet shutter, excellent rear screen options, also swiping for playback. The whole package feels so solid and harmonious in operation. VERY nice camera - I do so hope it will not be discontinued, but I may well buy one anyway.