Happy, happy, happy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Light (relatively), small (again), versatile, a lighter ball head, a lighter/smaller tripod, a smaller camera bag. No more Nikon FF with 3 or 4 lenses. Is it as good in very low light? No, but it's pretty darn good. Does it have the resolution to print large? No, but, large enough for me. Is it intimidating when I'm out in other countries? No. 

Three simple garden shots on tripod. Nothing special, but, sharp,clear, great colors and fine detail. Am I sold on Leica? Yes, and got the Type 109 for even smaller/lighter, better low light.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Age 69, bad back, perfect for types 109 and 114!

• Like 6

You mention printing large. No problem up to A3 + and with a little care A2 is not impossible. An m camera with prime lenses is easier  but I print A3 plus regularly with files from the Panasonic LX 100 which is the same camera.

BrianP

WHY I BOUGHT a Leica D-Lux Typ 109?

I photograph quite a large and massive professional fotoaparati. It's not a Leica, as the focus of my work is not prepapred Leica.

I recently decided to buy a compact camera, I want to wear it always with him and not miss a single moment of our beautiful life!

I have studied many advanced compacts. My conditions: weight up to 500 grams, small size, zoom lens. My version of the Leica D-Lux Typ 109. I looked and her twin Panasonic LX100, but he's too ugly... I thought for a long time. I held Typ 109 in his hands. And I still haven't bought it. I was stopped not price Typ 109 - although this is only a clone twice cheaper Panasonic. Stopped insufficiency Leica in Leica Typ 109. In fact, you ask two prices for the red circle, not giving anything more from Leica. In Typ 109 has no soul Leica.

What I want, as a potential buyer? What you need to do so without thinking I bought a Leica D-Lux Typ 109? More Leica! You should do this camera is similar to the classic Leica's. Make the top and bottom cover silver. Make a corrugated case, or leather (rifling metal will be technologically easier). Make a case similar to the Leica M Edition 60! Then for this camera line up! Oh, and don't forget the screen - put there a non-scratch tempered glass Gorilla glass. Well this is embarrassing, when Leica (!!!) on the screen is cheap plastic, which is worn after only a month of operation.

Next lens. He's gorgeous, Yes. But make it too silvery, metallic. Lettering black. More red marks. So it was similar to the classic Leica lenses. It is not difficult and not expensive - I'm an engineer, and I imagine the technology. Let the trunk of the lens stays black, but the lens needs to be silver.

Yes, make a Typ 109 in version Edition. And it will be sold as your large Leica, and even better. And don't be greedy - include in the basic package automatic cover!

With love for Leica, Alexander/

• Like 1

WHY I BOUGHT a Leica D-Lux Typ 109?

I photograph quite a large and massive professional fotoaparati. It's not a Leica, as the focus of my work is not prepapred Leica.

I recently decided to buy a compact camera, I want to wear it always with him and not miss a single moment of our beautiful life!

I have studied many advanced compacts. My conditions: weight up to 500 grams, small size, zoom lens. My version of the Leica D-Lux Typ 109. I looked and her twin Panasonic LX100, but he's too ugly... I thought for a long time. I held Typ 109 in his hands. And I still haven't bought it. I was stopped not price Typ 109 - although this is only a clone twice cheaper Panasonic. Stopped insufficiency Leica in Leica Typ 109. In fact, you ask two prices for the red circle, not giving anything more from Leica. In Typ 109 has no soul Leica.

What I want, as a potential buyer? What you need to do so without thinking I bought a Leica D-Lux Typ 109? More Leica! You should do this camera is similar to the classic Leica's. Make the top and bottom cover silver. Make a corrugated case, or leather (rifling metal will be technologically easier). Make a case similar to the Leica M Edition 60! Then for this camera line up! Oh, and don't forget the screen - put there a non-scratch tempered glass Gorilla glass. Well this is embarrassing, when Leica (!!!) on the screen is cheap plastic, which is worn after only a month of operation.

Next lens. He's gorgeous, Yes. But make it too silvery, metallic. Lettering black. More red marks. So it was similar to the classic Leica lenses. It is not difficult and not expensive - I'm an engineer, and I imagine the technology. Let the trunk of the lens stays black, but the lens needs to be silver.

Yes, make a Typ 109 in version Edition. And it will be sold as your large Leica, and even better. And don't be greedy - include in the basic package automatic cover!

With love for Leica, Alexander/

Hi 

I agree that most of your sudjestions would make the camera look very nice. The downside is the cost and the final retail price. Leica  have taken the LX100 and made a minor alteration to one part of the case plus a red dot. Tweaked the firmware to improve j pegs and more than doubled the price. As a piece of male jewalry the 109 looks better but as a device for taking picture no change.

i prefer added value that improves the picture taking capabilities not the bragging rights . 

BrianP

Hi 

I agree that most of your sudjestions would make the camera look very nice. The downside is the cost and the final retail price. Leica  have taken the LX100 and made a minor alteration to one part of the case plus a red dot. Tweaked the firmware to improve j pegs and more than doubled the price. As a piece of male jewalry the 109 looks better but as a device for taking picture no change.

i prefer added value that improves the picture taking capabilities not the bragging rights . 

BrianP

For some, value is more money in their pocket.  For others, it is a better body, better warranty, made in Japan and a software license. We can agree that both cameras can take great pictures provided the user  knows how. If they don't know how to take pictures, even a cheap camera is just 'male jewelry'.

• Like 1

"made in Japan"

It's been sadly the case for Leica that the 'fake' Leicas often have better QC than the 'real' ones. I'm already seeing build quality problems in my Q, my M240 has been in to the shop a few times as was the case for the M9 and 8.2, and no X I had escaped Leica Service either. I'm not hard on my cameras and it's truly disgraceful for stuff to actually fall off for one, let alone the multitude of other issues.

My PanaLeicas on the other hand have been flawless, and especially with the 109 it looks like Panasonic is maybe learning quite a lot from Leica in terms of how a camera should handle - it's the best handling non-full-frame-sensor compact on the market I know. I know some have had issues but these are the really unlucky ones (I have a greater sample size to call on).

Edited by wacka
  • Like 1

"made in Japan"

It's been sadly the case for Leica that the 'fake' Leicas often have better QC than the 'real' ones. I'm already seeing build quality problems in my Q, my M240 has been in to the shop a few times as was the case for the M9 and 8.2, and no X I had escaped Leica Service either. I'm not hard on my cameras and it's truly disgraceful for stuff to actually fall off for one, let alone the multitude of other issues.

My PanaLeicas on the other hand have been flawless, and especially with the 109 it looks like Panasonic is maybe learning quite a lot from Leica in terms of how a camera should handle - it's the best handling non-full-frame-sensor compact on the market I know. I know some have had issues but these are the really unlucky ones (I have a greater sample size to call on).

I have always found Panasonic equipment very reliable and high quality.Panasonic may possibly be learning about how a camera should handle / I am not particularly convinced. Leica however could learn a lot from panasonic about build quality. as your experience testifies. Personally other than having the sensors checked by Leica and cleaned FOC I have not had problems with 2xM9 1xM8.2 and about 12 M lenses.Having said that if Panasonic made an MM I would probably cancel my order for the Leica version.

I would not call a 109 a fake Leica its really a fake Panasonic. :)

BrianP

Lenses I've not really had any issues with - apart from one lemon. It's the digital bodies I have a real problem with. It's usually something minor but shouldn't be coming across in a premium body. Loose / improperly fitted controls / parts (I've had a couple fall off, and even if I say I was unlucky then, there have been enough other issues) are a major one.

JMHO but the 109 is a nice little camera, even if it is made in Japan.  I have thought that this would make a nice all around camera for my wife; she is a casual photographer who has no desire for an M camera, but likes to make photos to share with friends by email and on the 'net.  Not everyone wants or needs an M-P or a Monochrom.  It is good that Leica tries to meet the needs of these folks. 

• Like 4

Hi 

BrianP

Ah, but a three year warranty and 2 downloads of Lightroom 6 (I had 4) is worth quite a bit making the Leica only very slightly more expensive.

The more I use my 109, the more I like it.  Earlier this week I had dinner with a friend who is a professional photographer who uses Leica cameras every day.  I showed her 6 A4 prints, three taken with the M9 and three with the 109.  I asked her to say which camera had taken each shot.  She was wrong in 4/6 cases.  Whether difference would become more apparent at A3 I'm not sure. 

• Like 1

The more I use my 109, the more I like it.  Earlier this week I had dinner with a friend who is a professional photographer who uses Leica cameras every day.  I showed her 6 A4 prints, three taken with the M9 and three with the 109.  I asked her to say which camera had taken each shot.  She was wrong in 4/6 cases.  Whether difference would become more apparent at A3 I'm not sure. 

Depends on the image doesn't it. If there's any bokeh of any sort it's immediately recognisable, since the 109 does do it, but it's terrible at it (the second pic is a good indicator). Trickier with a landscape.

Edited by wacka

Ah, but a three year warranty and 2 downloads of Lightroom 6 (I had 4) is worth quite a bit making the Leica only very slightly more expensive.

I received a 5 year warranty and yes I had to pay for LR 6 (£50.00) if I had not got an upgrade voucher.

taking into consideration the case / spare Battery / 16gb card/ the handgrip is built in on the Panasonic , I saved about £500.00 .

I have a connection at Panasonic who informs me they have had almost Zero warranty claims on the LX 100. Judging by some of the problems recorded on the forum the Dlux 109 has given many people considerable problems. In all fairness my self and a couple of friends where going to buy a 109 each and we bought the panasonic purely on cost saving and a reminder that in a review the Dlux 4 that I owned when tested in a photo paper a few years ago was found to be identical as far as results where concerned when compared to LX 4 or whatever the Panasonic model was it was compared too.

Dont mention second hand values either ,both camera when 5 years old are worth max £50. Probably  zero

BrianP

Depends on the image doesn't it. If there's any bokeh of any sort it's immediately recognisable, since the 109 does do it, but it's terrible at it (the second pic is a good indicator). Trickier with a landscape.

You have to compare Oranges to Oranges. The 109/lx100 is a £500 camera.

when I want Bokeh I use my Noctilux on my M9 . We are know using a £12,000 camera. The m9 is 10 times the price of 109/LX100 before we attach a lens . Let's  be reasonable in our comparisons. The 109 / LX 100 can and does give some incredible results.

BrianP