Can T capture an image without a lens attached?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received a used Leica T body today and while waiting for B&H to ship me the special order of the Novoflex Leica M to T body adapter I decided to order a cheap lens adaptor off of Amazon to use temporarily (and to make sure the camera body is functioning properly). 

I have a Zeiss 50mm f1.5 sonnar lens so I tried it on with the temp adapter attached to the Leica T body. It turned out that the camera couldn't capture anything. The live display is completely black when I turned it on. I was able to see all the menus on the camera but it seems like the sensor doesn't display any live image. Though I noticed it still measured the light when I pointed the camera to different targets.

I was wondering if there's a way to test to see if the camera is working without a lens attached (like shooting an image with the camera sensor directly)? I wasn't sure if the sensor couldn't display any live image on the camera because I don't have the right adaptor or if the camera itself is actually broken. I need to figure this out soon so I could send the camera back if it is really broken.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

The camera only supports manual or aperture priority mode with manual lenses.  See here from page 162 of the manual:

• When using Leica M lenses with the Leica M Adapter T available

as an accessory, only aperture priority and manual setting are

available, i.e. the automatic program (P), shutter speed priority

(T) and the subject programs are not available. If one of these

modes is selected, the camera automatically switches to

aperture priority mode when the adapter is attached. The mode

displayed in the monitor also changes to A. The aperture value

displayed is F0.0.

Automatic program - P

For fast, fully automatic photography. The exposure is controlled by

an automatic shutter speed and aperture setting.

Setting the mode

► Select

Taking a picture

► Press the shutter release to the pressure point

• The shutter speed and aperture are displayed in white. If even

a completely open or closed aperture combined with the

fastest or slowest shutter speed will result in under or

overexposure, both values are displayed in red.

If

If this doesn't work there is probably something wrong with the camera.

• Like 1

I was wondering if there's a way to test to see if the camera is working without a lens attached (like shooting an image with the camera sensor directly)? I wasn't sure if the sensor couldn't display any live image on the camera because I don't have the right adaptor or if the camera itself is actually broken. I need to figure this out soon so I could send the camera back if it is really broken.

Perhaps your camera switches the video signal off, if there is no lens mounted.

Not so modern fashioned cameras would show a more or less white picture on the LCD screen. Greenish, if you point the camera to a tree. 

The throat of the camera acts as a lens (without glass). It has a very low f/stop (perhaps 0.6), but with an extremely bad image quality. If one can speak of IQ. :)

You can make pictures with a hole camera (without a lens). A black paper in front of the throat of the camera with in the middle a hole of 1 mm. Giving a high f/stop of 30 and pictures with very low quality.

Jan

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1

I had a similar issue when I tried a cheap adapter before buying the Leica version. I wasn't able to use the the T app with live view. The screen was just black. The Leica adapter has contacts on it to record the M lens code and I think the lack of those (which the cheap adapters don't have) make the camera think no lens is attached. I don't remember live view not working on the actual camera but after figuring out it was the adapter that was the problem I quickly switched over to the Leica. Also if you want to use any other lens like R or M42 on the T you're going to have to stack the adapters on top of the M. With the M240 having liveview more adapters are popping up for the mount, also I think Novoflex will make them custom for you if you have a specific request that will allow for adaptation. Just go to their website and it lists the possibilities.

Edited by johnloumiles
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all! I hope it is the adapter issue. After hearing about the limitations of the third-party adapter ring, I decided to cancel the Novoflex and went ahead with the Leica one instead. Hopefully it will be worth it. This way I could test to see if there's any issue with the body. I'll report back when the Leica adapter ring arrives. 

Out of curiosity, does anyone think it is worth it to own at least one of the T lenses? 

The reason I went with an M-adapter ring is because I could always reuse or resell the M lenses if I decide to change to a different body in the future. I'm not sure if there's possibility of mounting the T lenses on the other camera body in the future.

I'm sure its the adapter ring so it shouldn't be a problem once you get the Leica. I never used the T lenses but as far as M lenses it works smoothly and the results are fantastic. Much better then any other APS mirrorles camera with M lenses which shouldn't be surprising. While I'm sure the T lenses are probably more convenient with autofocus I didn't want to invest in them because I have an M and that money could be used to buy lenses that would fit on both cameras. Plus you won't get that 1.5 aperture on any of the T lenses (as of now, faster lenses are rumored to be coming). If you are only using the T then maybe you'd want to think about it.

Edited by johnloumiles
  • Like 1

Finally.... the mystery is solved! 

It turned out that by upgrading the camera firmware from v1.1 to v1.31 solved the problem of live view displaying black.

After the firmware upgrade, despite having the crappy cheap adapter on the camera, I could finally see something through the lens on the live view! I'm still getting the Leica adapter for sure even though this is resolved. After playing with it for a little bit, I started to feel like I want to treat this T nicely :)

Also, to answer my own question regarding if T could capture an image without a lens attached. After my live view is working now, my answer is... it could. I removed the lens and turned on the camera, I could definitely see a very blurry live view on the screen.

Edited by anneescamera

Search the forum for sensor cleaning, and/or see the Tutorials on the Visible Dust website. Dealing with dust on the sensor is a basic fact of life on digital cameras with interchangeable lenses, even sometimes on those with dust removal systems. Look on it as washing your car or vacuuming your living room...

In this case buy a good air blower and blow it away. NOT canned air! Take it from there.

Or leave it and use the Spot Removal Tool in Lightroom.

• Like 1

On dust removal, only had to do it once so far.  Very carefully and gently with canned air but that probably is risky.  Now I make sure all lenses clean before attaching and not leave it open for any time.  I just use M lenses too.  Have no need yet for T lenses.  Maybe if they come out with more primes.

Canned  air is certainly risky. It can spit near-impossible to remove gunk on the sensor or freeze and crack it, or force dust under the filters.

I agree is risky.  Not recommended.  But if one has no other choice, hold the can far away plus shoot air out first before applying.  Just gentle super short short bursts from a good distance.  Just producing air movement.  Not directly on the sensor.  But a better method is preferred, definitely.

Edited by billinghambaglady