Moving on from Photoshop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you ever decide not to pay any more then all that happens is that you can't change anything with those programs. You can still look at and export your pictures and edits.

Before I took out a CC subscription, this was the issue that I did most research on. I'm not worried about paying a subscription, but I am worried about retaining my images and edits in non-jpg form when Adobe goes bankrupt (so .psd files became obsolete, and .dng files with LR edits became unreadable) or I can't afford the subscription. However, I concluded that in those events, I would still have the option of exporting and archiving everything as the original .dng plus a non-lossy .tiff. Once I got that sorted in my own mind I sold my soul and took out a subscription.

• Like 1

Before I took out a CC subscription, this was the issue that I did most research on. I'm not worried about paying a subscription, but I am worried about retaining my images and edits in non-jpg form when Adobe goes bankrupt (so .psd files became obsolete, and .dng files with LR edits became unreadable) or I can't afford the subscription. However, I concluded that in those events, I would still have the option of exporting and archiving everything as the original .dng plus a non-lossy .tiff. Once I got that sorted in my own mind I sold my soul and took out a subscription.

When and if Adobe goes bankrupt (or, in the most likely event you decide to stop paying the subscription):

- You will know well in advance when this will happen.

- Your raw files won't be deleted from your disk by any magical evil force.

- Your "edits" i.e. processing metadata can be embedded in the DNG or exported to sidecar files for other raw formats. Just remember to update/save processing metadata, as this is a manual operation. One of the benefits of DNG is that it provides a standard way to save your edits in the very same DNG file.

- You will switch to a new raw developer app, able to read your metadata. Rendering may slightly differ due to a different engine. Note that this also happens when Adobe updates the rendering engine in its own apps.

- You can still buy and use a non-cloud version of Lightroom and use it for the already processed image, in case for some photos the new app is not rendering your edits exactly as the Adobe apps were.

- You will start worrying that the small company producing your new non-cloud raw developer app will go bankrupt  :) ... or worse, be acquired by Adobe  ;)

• Like 2

I feel like I've  always 'rented' PS.  You had to buy at least every second new version to work with current cameras and plug-ins.  So they had you hooked for periodic upgrades at a consistent fee.

From that standpoint, Adobe has simply boosted the cost of 'rental' and made the upgrades fluid.  There was little they could add to future versions and they wanted to continue their revenue stream, so they turned to subscriptions.  Nothing more to it; they're a corporation, not a friend.

OK to feel a bit miffed, as we all were were at the time, but user reactions led Adobe to lower the photo package to a modest price.  

You can save anything you want as a .tif and needn't fear their collapse.  So just go ahead and subscribe?  

Kirk

Edited by thompsonkirk

When and if Adobe goes bankrupt (or, in the most likely event you decide to stop paying the subscription):

- You will know well in advance when this will happen.

- Your raw files won't be deleted from your disk by any magical evil force.

- Your "edits" i.e. processing metadata can be embedded in the DNG or exported to sidecar files for other raw formats. Just remember to update/save processing metadata, as this is a manual operation. One of the benefits of DNG is that it provides a standard way to save your edits in the very same DNG file.

- You will switch to a new raw developer app, able to read your metadata. Rendering may slightly differ due to a different engine. Note that this also happens when Adobe updates the rendering engine in its own apps.

- You can still buy and use a non-cloud version of Lightroom and use it for the already processed image, in case for some photos the new app is not rendering your edits exactly as the Adobe apps were.

- You will start worrying that the small company producing your new non-cloud raw developer app will go bankrupt  :) ... or worse, be acquired by Adobe  ;)

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

You are correct in principle, but not everything you see in LR is readily accessible outside LR, though probably most of what you want is. And when the Adobe world comes to an end, that is too late to find that the bit of info you critically want to keep is no longer accessible.

But this is no longer something that keeps me awake at night, hence I have a CC sub.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.

You are correct in principle, but not everything you see in LR is readily accessible outside LR, though probably most of what you want is. And when the Adobe world comes to an end, that is too late to find that the bit of info you critically want to keep is no longer accessible.

But this is no longer something that keeps me awake at night, hence I have a CC sub.

But you see, Mr. Salter: I always find a way to access critical bit of info "no longer accessible" ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm using OS X 10.10.5  A simple effecient raw converter would be great. Is there such a thing? 

CC raw is simple.   Create a preset you like from history or from first file in a series or by subject or from Adobe DNG profile Editor.   Set raw to open to any of these based on camera serial number.   Open one, preset is made automatically, close back to bridge.    Select all the rest of the images in the series and apply the same preset,  bridge, edit, previous conversion, .  Computer does all the others on its own at 2/3 sec each.

open 6 at a time in raw and do individual touchups to each image like exposure.  Save or open PS where you can do size reduction to whatever you require.   Use  File, script, image processor. and there is a "run internal" option for an action to sharpen or whatever you need.

People fail to realize this is exactly how LR works.  RAW is as fast as JPEG. with better control

You can try capture 1.   

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...