So how come these two shots look so different?

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I decided to try developing my Kentmere 400 shot at 1250 in R3 Monobath.

I was disappointed to see the dark bands but really perplexed at the insane amount of specs on the negatives. Some shots had hardly any and some were just covered in them. It's hard to believe that they are even from the same roll of film or camera.

Can anyone identify what they are?

NO SPECS (JUST A FEW)

21133589911_8df8dc1db3_h.jpg

VS THIS

21125930895_7503fea885_h.jpg

You have a fine collection of dust and drying marks. All you need for the full set is a fingerprint.

Can you identify where on the roll the dust appears when it was hung to dry, all near the top, all near the bottom, or totally random? Have you touched the film with anything while it was still wet?

Steve

You have a fine collection of dust and drying marks. All you need for the full set is a fingerprint.

Can you identify where on the roll the dust appears when it was hung to dry, all near the top, all near the bottom, or totally random? Have you touched the film with anything while it was still wet?

Steve

Glad to know it's just me; that I can improve.

I'm not sure where on the roll these appeared but they were the last shots I shot so, outside of the roll. Also, I slipped this set of 6 into the sleeve while waiting to scan, I didn't do that to the ones I'm scanning this morning and none of the ones I'm working on look that horrible.

I guess those were the outside images on the roll.

Would this happen through fumbling in the dark bag trying to get this film onto the roll (for the scratches/marks) and then just general dust for the rest?

Well it superficially looks like dust and crap that has landed during drying, if it is on the bottom frames of the film it suggests this was the last end to dry (water flows downhill). So you need to address whatever it is you are doing that can cause dust to land on the film while it dries. You also have what look like residual stains from Photoflo wetting agent (or the equivalent) and these can be caused by bubbles of it bursting and leaving a concentration of Photoflo as a stain (top right in your picture).

So hang your film in a bathroom to dry, and get everybody in the house to use it beforehand, so nobody has to cross their legs while the film is drying. A humid bathroom is ideal, so put the shower on for a while and the humidity will lay the dust. Shake your film to remove any excess water and disperse Photoflo bubbles. In your final rinse don't use too much Photoflo, plan to halve or quarter the dilution suggested on the bottle. Then hang the film from a temporary line. Do not use squeegee's etc.

But there is no sure answer to where dust is getting onto the film, it may be something in the wash water, dust blowing in through a bathroom air vent, sticky fingers, all and many more are culprits, you can only track them down yourself by thinking hard about your own way of doing things during the washing and final rinse. But if the dust is always at the bottom of the film and the last end to dry it gives a clue, if it is spread evenly all over the film it gives another clue.

Steve

• Like 2

Well it superficially looks like dust and crap that has landed during drying, if it is on the bottom frames of the film it suggests this was the last end to dry (water flows downhill). So you need to address whatever it is you are doing that can cause dust to land on the film while it dries. You also have what look like residual stains from Photoflo wetting agent (or the equivalent) and these can be caused by bubbles of it bursting and leaving a concentration of Photoflo as a stain (top right in your picture).

So hang your film in a bathroom to dry, and get everybody in the house to use it beforehand, so nobody has to cross their legs while the film is drying. A humid bathroom is ideal, so put the shower on for a while and the humidity will lay the dust. Shake your film to remove any excess water and disperse Photoflo bubbles. In your final rinse don't use too much Photoflo, plan to halve or quarter the dilution suggested on the bottle. Then hang the film from a temporary line. Do not use squeegee's etc.

But there is no sure answer to where dust is getting onto the film, it may be something in the wash water, dust blowing in through a bathroom air vent, sticky fingers, all and many more are culprits, you can only track them down yourself by thinking hard about your own way of doing things during the washing and final rinse. But if the dust is always at the bottom of the film and the last end to dry it gives a clue, if it is spread evenly all over the film it gives another clue.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that's good info.

My next roll goes into the bathroom and I'll take these steps and compare the results.

I really appreciate your help.

• 2 months later...

You have finger prints, dust, and all the small ones are silver that precipitated from fix from the previous roll.   

Cures.  Clean darkroom,  air filter,  and do not reuse fix.   Keep glass bottles clean and keep dev tanks clean with hot water and in a plastic bag between uses.

Operating room clean is all it is about.

Luckily, all my problems have been solved.

It turned out to be just general cleanliness issues and lack of vigorous agitation.

I started to use a film dryer instead of the bathroom and agitate more forcefully and everything is peachy now. Not a spec of dust and very consistent negs.