First test roll from my M6

pinchers of peril

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've often read on this forum, and elsewhere, that Portra is often preferred to be exposed at least half a stop or full stop over box speed, but developed at the published speed. It's said to improve color in a pastel like manner, what ever that is. 

I don't know if this also helps with grain, but my first roll of Portra 160 was grainy--much more than your examples, and the colors were. . . "dead." Wish I had an overexposed roll of 160 for comparison, but I did over expose a roll of Portra 400 by half a stop, with much more satisfying results.

I'm sure others can elaborate more knowledgeably here--that is if my point merits comment.

• Like 2

Over-exposing C41 can be a good idea if one intends on scanning the film as it will lighten the shadows which in turn reduces the noise (some) scanners produce as they try to pull out shadow detail. Due to C41's latitude it is virtually always possible to pull out highlight detail (I regularly expose my 400 films at EI100 and 160 at EI80). The common internet wisdom is that over-exposure will give Portra a pastel look that's so in at the moment but those of us who don't care for that can always adjust it in post.

I think the images posted look alright, the ones of the children have a nice life and feel to them. Colour could be tweaked to taste; I don't subscribe to the view that film images by definition look right out of the camera and need no post-processing. It is internet myth that film would somehow by definition be faithful to reality. All emulsions give different results. There's a lot of talk on gear fora about how lenses "render" but for film users the considerably more important aspect is the film used. The photos are also not pin sharp in terms of focus, but that's not a result of using film, which is a very sharp medium. Sharpening in post can deal with some of this within limits (and depending on the desired size of the final image).

All in all, I would say you're on the right way. Keep at it, don't forget to experiment, try different things out and ask questions. And enjoy the fact that you're using a medium that's depicted what's been happening on this planet the last 100+ years.

Philip

• Like 4

My first roll of tri-x

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

The big question is, are you happy with the results?  Exposure looks correct, nice composition and a nice soft background on the wide open frame.  You're on the right track, just keep a fresh roll with you all the time.

• Like 2

First of I think your definitely on the right road, nice interesting images. It takes time to really get into film. Maybe set up a few shots and use any old digital to help you "see" what you have in your minds eye..

You are using top notch equipment & film don't spoil your work by using a cheap D&P setup...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The big question is, are you happy with the results?  Exposure looks correct, nice composition and a nice soft background on the wide open frame.  You're on the right track, just keep a fresh roll with you all the time.

I really like the grain on the Tri-X.  I am much happier with this roll than I was with my first roll of Portra.  Still a lot to learn but I am really enjoying it and there is a certain "romance" that I feel both with the camera and the images that I don't necessarily feel with my digital gear or images.  Honestly, even if I can still make "better" images with my Canon gear I am having a lot more fun shooting with the M6 :)

Edited by pinchers of peril
  • Like 6

Yeah I think for my next roll of porta 400 I'm going to set the ISO dial to 200 and process like normal to see how that turns out. I'll probably try a better lab as well. Thanks for all the tips. I'll post my next roll once it develops.

This article (don't know how I stumbled onto it) was a revelation to me. It's very interesting and shows how many stops you can get away with with film. It's a mind blower.

http://www.johnnypatience.com/metering-for-film/

• Like 5

Ok, Im gonna be adventurous and follow this advice to overexpose by a full stop (i.e., half box speed). Especially for my remaining rolls of Portra 160 that had me spooked after my first disappointing roll.

I only discovered incident (a.k.a. "Ambient") metering after getting my first Leica, a couple years ago. This results in many fewer missed exposures, compared with reflected readings with previous SLR cameras. Also reduces exposure anxiety; with reflected readings, I always found myself hesitating to ask myself "how does this scene compare to 'middle gray'? Do I have to compensate?"

I might ask the same questions with an incident reading, but I'm much less likely to say "yes, better compensate" with an incident reading. 

• Like 1

Ok, Im gonna be adventurous and follow this advice to overexpose by a full stop (i.e., half box speed). Especially for my remaining rolls of Portra 160 that had me spooked after my first disappointing roll.

I only discovered incident (a.k.a. "Ambient") metering after getting my first Leica, a couple years ago. This results in many fewer missed exposures, compared with reflected readings with previous SLR cameras. Also reduces exposure anxiety; with reflected readings, I always found myself hesitating to ask myself "how does this scene compare to 'middle gray'? Do I have to compensate?"

I might ask the same questions with an incident reading, but I'm much less likely to say "yes, better compensate" with an incident reading. 

Great! Looking forward to your results!

im doing the same.

• Like 1

I really like the grain on the Tri-X.  I am much happier with this roll than I was with my first roll of Portra.  Still a lot to learn but I am really enjoying it and there is a certain "romance" that I feel both with the camera and the images that I don't necessarily feel with my digital gear or images.  Honestly, even if I can still make "better" images with my Canon gear I am having a lot more fun shooting with the M6 :)

What you said is the reason why I love film for B&W.  A friend of mine (the one that bought my 5d MK II) shoots dozens, or even hundreds of photos in an afternoon; while I only shoot at the best a half of a roll.  He seldom prints anything, I print most of my stuff.  

My next advice is to learn to develop film, it is easy and inexpensive.  You can scan (or copy using a DSLR) the negatives, or print them wet.  Setting up a dark room is also inexpensive, there are hundreds of bargains on ebay.  If you only want to do the negatives, you do not even need the darkroom.  The definition of a darkroom is also misleading, mine is in our laundry room.  My enlarger sits on a sink, the trays on the washer and dryer.  

Another site you may want to visit is APUG.  Here is a link to their gallery,  http://www.apug.org/gallery1/index.php  and forum  http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/. 

Glad you are enjoying your film experience.  Be careful though, you may sell your Canon stuff too.  

Wayne 

Edited by too old to care
  • Like 1

What you said is the reason why I love film for B&W.  A friend of mine (the one that bought my 5d MK II) shoots dozens, or even hundreds of photos in an afternoon; while I only shoot at the best a half of a roll.  He seldom prints anything, I print most of my stuff.  

My next advice is to learn to develop film, it is easy and inexpensive.  You can scan (or copy using a DSLR) the negatives, or print them wet.  Setting up a dark room is also inexpensive, there are hundreds of bargains on ebay.  If you only want to do the negatives, you do not even need the darkroom.  The definition of a darkroom is also misleading, mine is in our laundry room.  My enlarger sits on a sink, the trays on the washer and dryer.  

Another site you may want to visit is APUG.  Here is a link to their gallery,  http://www.apug.org/gallery1/index.php  and forum  http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/. 

Glad you are enjoying your film experience.  Be careful though, you may sell your Canon stuff too.  

Wayne 

Ha ha, yeah the Canon gear has been getting a bit dusty as of late.  Learning to develop is definitely my next goal.  I like the laundry room idea, I think our would work well, there's just one window I'd have to tape shut.  

If you only want to do the negatives, you do not even need the darkroom.  The definition of a darkroom is also misleading, mine is in our laundry room.  My enlarger sits on a sink, the trays on the washer and dryer.  

At one time I used the bathroom with an old table top sitting on the bath for enlarger and trays. Bit of a problem if the wife wanted a bath or shower. Now I have a laundry room I seldom process my films. Mostly do negatives and scan.

• Like 1

It requires about one year to become really familiar and happy with a Leica-M.

You will then really soar!

Color as in C-41, a problem, unless access to a decent lab.

BW is easier, do your own development, quicker, better quality and really easy.

I prefer Ilford HP+5 to Tri-X.

My main film is Kentmere 400.

Both these films dry flat!

A major requirement of my Canonscan.

Develop BW yourself.

Easy, cheap, consistent and fun.

I believe the Zeiss lens has a discrepancy of focus at different apertures.

I use my old, pristine 50mm Collapsible Summicron.

It can flare, is not critically sharp wide open, making it nice for portraits..

Use smaller apertures to compensate.

Work with "Zone of Focus" rather than critically RF focus each shot!

Enjoy the M and film.

Edited by pixie

attachicon.gif11950340_10153135945352896_648661212317460588_o.jpgattachicon.gif11223983_10153135944957896_8955221149682338558_o.jpg

I've surfed some of your images on Flickr I think. Your daughter has buckets of cute to spare.

• Like 2

Recently I ran across this article. http://petapixel.com/2015/08/10/how-much-can-you-overexpose-negative-film-have-a-look/

I don't shoot much color film anymore, mainly because I don't like scanning the images. But, the article describes how much you can over expose film and still get an image.  However, they did not discuss what happens to the grain, color shifts.  

However, this article does a bit.  http://www.bellelumieremagazine.com/overexposing-film/

Wayne 

Edited by too old to care

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a roll of tmax 400 back from the lab.  First time trying this film

[ Edited by pinchers of peril
  • Like 4

• Like 3