AF focus confirmation-function

sturkel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just getting up to speed with my Q which delivered today.  Question, I see when using the AF mode that there is first a red rectangle which turns to green.  What is the red one confirming ?  Also, I see I can fire the shutter without focus lock (red rectangle).  In looking at the menus I do not see a setting for preventing the camera from operating unless focus is locked while in the AF mode.

Love to get some clarification, thanks of the help.

Cheers

Stan

Having taken the time to re-read the manual I did confirm the following:

The red rectangle is an indication of Focus Lock failure, and yes you can fire shutter with a missed focus lock.  

I am new to an auto focus Leica and this mode is new to me, as well.  I assume many are using the Q in a manual focus mode.

Cheers

If you read the manual you will find that when AF is set to AF-S, the shutter will not fire until AF is achieved.  If you set it to AF-C, it will fire whether AF is achieved or not.

Page 174 under AF-s "–– It is not possible to take a picture before it comes into focus, even if the shutter button is pressed all the way down beforehand."

Page 175 under AF-c "–– Even if no part of the subject is in focus, a picture can be taken at any time."

Interestingly, I tried both settings and the camera focuses so fast that in either mode I would up with in focus images just pointing the camera and snapping the shutter quickly.  I was shooting targets at various distances and they were obviously out of focus before I pressed the shutter button.  Maybe it would be different in lower light.  I will test this evening.

Thanks for the reply.  I find it interesting that in the AF-S mode low light it can attempt to lock focus go to red and still allow the shutter to fire.  Basically allow to fire shutter without focus lock in low light conditions.  Coming from a Nikon background there alway was a setting to prevent shutter operation unless focus lock.  I don't understand the purpose of the red rectangle.  White to green confirms focus lock. Not sure what the red is telling me while in the AF-S mode.

It is not possible to take a picture before it comes into focus, even if the shutter button is pressed all the way down beforehand." ( but it will if you have the red rectangle)

Cheers

I too have been able to shoot with the red box active.  Best way to test is to choose to shoot at a subject distance shorter than minimum focus distance.   

How would Leica explain this?   I don't see any override option in any menu. 

Edited by lucerne

Thank you for confirming.  Not sure what is the purpose of the red box active?  It seems under low light conditions (as such in events I shoot)  I could get the shutter to fire without focus lock on.  For me this would be a concern.

Thank you for confirming.  Not sure what is the purpose of the red box active?  It seems under low light conditions (as such in events I shoot)  I could get the shutter to fire without focus lock on.  For me this would be a concern.

Sorry.

My wrong choice of words.  "Red box visible" would be more appropriate.  In that state, according to the manual, the shutter release should not operate.  On some bodies from other manufacturers, such a feature can be overridden.  Usually that's to allow manual focus lenses (those without electrical connections or a motor) to function with a body with automatic features. 

Edited by lucerne

I tried it in low light shooting and it made no difference whether it was in AF-s or AF-c, it always focused before the shutter released.  I also tested where I was too close to the subject.  If you quickly press the shutter release, it will quickly hunt and fire and miss focus.  The box will either stay white or flash red very quickly.  There is no difference in behavior I can see between AF-s and AF-c.  If you only half press the shutter it will either oscillate the lens rapidly (if you are real close) or hunt slowly and show the red box but it will still fire in either mode.

This is clearly a bug Leica should address.

• 2 months later...

Page 174 under AF-s "–– It is not possible to take a picture before it comes into focus, even if the shutter button is pressed all the way down beforehand."

This is definitely not true - the acoustic signal sounds indicating focus lock and the picture is taken - even if not actually in focus (e.g. in too close distance). Yes, I am in AF-s.

And I can't change the focus peaking color - not matter what I change color to it is always red. 

Is it safe to assume all these issues are a FW (bug) issue, or might the problems be deeper and not fixed with an update?

Do others have the same problems (color always red, acoustic signal indicating "in focus" dings regardless?)

I use back button focus.  The signal always sounds when I push the button, even when nothing is in focus and the focus indicator flashes red instead of green.  I can always take an image when this happens, too.   This is on a Q I received yesterday.

As for your focus peaking issue.  I changed the focus peaking color to blue.  I see blue indications.

• 4 months later...

Noticed that, despite a statement to contrary in the Leica Q manual, my recently acquired Q will release the shutter in AFs mode even if focus lock was not achieved.  After some research I found this thread, but no recent posts or resolution.  Is this a known bug that remains unfixed?