'Classic' Lens set

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the 'classic' set of Leica M lenses that I can live with are the 21mm f/3.4 Super-Angulon, the 35mm f/1.4 pre-aspheric Summilux and the 75mm f/1.4 Summilux - a superb Schneider design coupled with two of Mandler's best. They are far from perfect lenses but each was a flagship lens in its day and they all had long production runs. Today they all remain very usable, even the SA despite its colour problems. The 35mm is still the diminutive fast lens. And the 75mm is still a fast, excellent performer.

So given a three lens set what would your 'classic' choices be?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Difficult as I own and enjoy 4 Leica lenses.

For most travel it would be 28/2.8 Elmarit ASPH, 35/2.5 Summarit and 50/2 v5 Summicron, but if I want to do some portraits or expect some need for reach I'll take out the 35mm and replace it with my 1960s vintage 90/2.8 Elmarit.

I rarely carry three though, usually picking one when I leave the house or for travel settle on either just the 35 or the 28 and 50.

sometimes I really travel light and just take my Leica X (113) or X Vario.

Edited by asiafish
  • Like 1

I did a previous post on this thread... with my cron 50 v5, cron 35 v4... and my wish for a 28 Elmarit v4. However, I do also own a Elmar 50 #429249 and a Summitar 59 #526606... lenses being true classics I guess... ;-)

Edited by Stein K S

I got my Safari with the 35mm Cron Asph, added a 75mm Cron APO and a 15mm V III. I am very happy with the combination.

I would like at some point get something between 21-28. The 28 Summilux looks nice...A longer range 135mm would also be a good addition.

Never was much of a 50mm person.

Years ago, when I had a Nikon film camera, my classic set of lenses was: 28, 50, 135.

With my M-P240 the mood has changed to: 35, 50, 90.

I'd look at a 28 but the 35 is just as good if you can take a step or two back. I have a 135 but it is large, heavy, and only really of use on a tripod.

The 50 was a lens I bought most recently. It is surprisingly versatile so it is now the favourite.

I have no compulsion to use a "classic" set of lenses, I prefer to change up my kit to suit my major anticipated subject matter.  Of course that can be used as a rationalization for owning a dozen or more lenses ;) but it also does happen to be true.   Sometimes I go with 15-21-35-90, sometimes 21-35-90, sometimes 15-28-50 and sometimes 15-28-50-135.  Sometimes I use the slower, lighter versions, sometimes the faster but heavier/bulkier one's. 

That said, I would not own any of the lenses the OP mentioned.  I had an SA, great lens but the metering blockage was a dealbreaker from M6-M9.  The pre-ASPH 35 Lux is one Leica lens I was not happy with the performance wide open.  The 75 Lux I also had, delivered stunning IQ when I was able to take my time focusing and composing.  The long, heavy focus throw combined with significant viewfinder blockage was annoying. 

To me, the 135mm f/4 Tele-Elmar is the jewel. While I carry a 28, 50 and 90, those are focal lengths covered by almost any fixed lens compact (D-Lux, X Vario). The extra reach of the 135, even with the compromises of small frame lines and critical focus, provides me with a unique view.

I just bought one of these at a great price, but sent it off for CLA before I had exposed even a single frame with it. Its return can not be soon enough.

s-a

Thanks for replying everyone. Interesting. I have always assumed that the 'classic' set of 3 lenses would have initially followed the evolution of the M - 50/90/135, then 35/50/90 and these would have been the 'original' classic sets of lenses, but then, with additional viewfinders and more frame lines, the choices widened. I have always suspected that my choice of 21mm is as a result of when I was born - by the time I was into photography (late 70s) the 20/21 was available from manufacturers at just about affordable prices. So I've always had a lens of this focal length and I still like it although its not always the easiest focal length to use effectively. The 35 too has always remained another favourite due to its versatility, although I do use 50s at times, and the 75/80mm focal length has been a sweet spot of lens design for a long time too - the large front elements make these lenses visually attractive in an optical sort of a way - they fill the hand and deliver such beautiful images. I could live with a 90 but prefer just a tad shorter really. Hence my choice.

But it also interesting that there is large variation within the focal lengths selected, and that one or two posters are willing to say not 3, but 2 or 4 lenses would be a 'classic' set.

Keep posts coming.