TAAB focus ring

Cliff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got one for a 0.95 Noctilux and a 90 summicron. Amazing. It gives non tabbed lenses a finger slot like on many Leica lenses.

It really makes focussing these lenses much easier and accurate. Especially with those 2 heavy lenses. I could use my hand to support the lens and use a finger to focus like my other lenses.

Highly recommended.

http://www.lenstab.com

Leica's tabbed lenses all have 2 things in common, a short-throw helical, and the focus ring/tab located close to the rear of the lens, which allows focusing within a comfortable range of motion of the left forefinger while cradling the camera in the left palm.   Checking my 90 Summicron just now, given the physical length and weight of that lens I find the most comfortale and steady hold is by cradling the lens in my palm, which puts the focus ring in the right position to be used with thumb and middle finger.  Plus the helical is fairly long.  I'm not seeing how a tab would be convenient, but YMMV of course.  I'm thinking my e43 50/1.4 might be a reasonable candidate for one of these tabs, although it too has a fairly long throw.  Cool innovation nonetheless.

• Like 1

True points about the 90. But the TAAB helps fine tuning. I'm also used to the 35 Lux tab and I find it 'missing' on the 90.

In the noctilux it's a game changer. I'm focussing faster, I know where the lens is based in the location of the TAAB and I fine focus better. The weight of the noctilux feels lighter when focussing.

At $14 USD, the TAAB is a steal.  It is worth many times more than the asking price imho.

Why pay $14 when you can pay $200 for SK Grimes' tab add-on? :(

Grimes' tab slants back towards the body which as bocaburger wrote is good.

It also supports the lens when the body is laid flat on a table.

Why pay $14 when you can pay $200 for SK Grimes' tab add-on? :(

Grimes' tab slants back towards the body which as bocaburger wrote is good.

It also supports the lens when the body is laid flat on a table.

Well, so far I have no complaints with my $14 TAAB.  Given the price difference, I will muddle through with it. 

Edited by Carlos Danger

• 1 year later...

Put a Taab on my Noctilux 0.95 for my recent trip, it's gold.  I'm shocked how much easier it is to focus the 0.95 with this on.  I has put one on the 75 lux and it made a difference as well, but on the Noct it is remarkable.

I'm not a fan of tab lenses and I go out of my way to purchase lenses that aren't tab focus. I also don't understand why Leica would make these tabs out of cheap plastic anyway?
You would expect that if you were paying thousands of dollars for a lens... that they could at least make the tab out of metal....