Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

Hello, Could you tell me how long it takes the replacement please? And what did you have to pay for? I will appreciate your answers.

Hey. It took around 2 months and a half. I paid nothing for it, because my M9 was detected w/ corrosion. Cheers.

Hello list!

I am in US, I tried to email Leica a few times, they are either not response or 1 response saying that they are supporting software only (?)

Are they that busy or I sent to a wrong department or region?

Can somebody provide a correct contact for this particular problem so I can try again?

Thanks and have a nice day everyone!

Regards

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

Please contact Leica NJ. The contact details are listed below. My M9 is with Leica NJ waiting for sensor replacement.

Leica Camera Inc.

1 Pearl Ct, Unit A

Allendale, New Jersey 07401

Phone: 800 222 0118

Fax: 201 995 1686

E-Mail: technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com

Do they clean/service the cameras when they are changing the sensor?

Yes.

My M-E was only seven-weeks-old when I sent it in, and when it came back it had new leatherette (nothing wrong with the old) and everything was cleaned and calibrated according to the receipt.

• Like 1

Just got my M-E back - looks good, new leather too

Firmware now 1.204. 

Also for the heck of it I asked them to change the LCD glass cover to sapphire and charge me.  Of course they didn't do that but threw in a pack of 2 German very nice hard display protector that fit perfectly - ordered some back-ups:

http://www.amazon.com/Vikuiti-Screen-Protector-adhesiveness-scratch-resistant/dp/B009L489CW

Settings were back to factory - no big, very glad to have it back, was 11 weeks.  I sent it in before replacements were even available.

Just got my M-E back - looks good, new leather too

Firmware now 1.204. 

Also for the heck of it I asked them to change the LCD glass cover to sapphire and charge me.  Of course they didn't do that but threw in a pack of 2 German very nice hard display protector that fit perfectly - ordered some back-ups:

http://www.amazon.com/Vikuiti-Screen-Protector-adhesiveness-scratch-resistant/dp/B009L489CW

Settings were back to factory - no big, very glad to have it back, was 11 weeks.  I sent it in before replacements were even available.

Is the new leather different from the old one?

I turned my camera in July 3rd, I am still without my M9-P. Though the people of Leica USA-NJ have been very nice, my wait has been a long one. They are awaiting more shipments of sensors from Germany.

Mark Garfinkel

Yes.

My M-E was only seven-weeks-old when I sent it in, and when it came back it had new leatherette (nothing wrong with the old) and everything was cleaned and calibrated according to the receipt.

The leatherette has to be removed to open up the camera and cannot be reused. So any operation involving on internal components is an automatic cover replacement.

Has anyone been offered a costed upgrade to an M240/246 as an alternative to the new sensor replacement? Or has this aspect of the corrosion issue solution been taken off the table?

My M9 went off to Leica Germany last week. I was asked to complete a pdf form stating whether I wanted repair or replacement with M240, M-P240 or MM246. Prices were upwards from €3300 for upgrades so I went for repair.

When the label came through from DHL to attach to the parcel, I noted it was addressed f.a.o. Herr Mandler at Wetzlar!

I actually came to this thread to see if anyone could say what the turnaround time is at Leica Park, but it seems mostly to cover experiences from Leica NJ

Anyone now how long Wetzlar is taking with these at present?

Jim