Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica just announced that the newly developed Leica M9 sensor stacks are ready to replace affected Leica M9/M9-P/M-E sensors.

Leica M Monochrom sensors will follow shortly.

Update on the CCD sensors of the Leica M9 / M9-P / M Monochrom and M-E camera models

We are very pleased to inform you that we have successfully completed development on our new generation of CCD sensors and conducted subsequent quality assurance testing under practical conditions. As a result, Leica Camera AG can now begin replacing the sensors in the M9, M9-P and M-E models that were affected by corrosion with sensors from the new generation.

Sensor replacement for M Monochrom models will also begin shortly. We will inform you of the precise date of this as soon as possible.

On this note, we would like to remind our customers that we can only offer replacements for CCD sensors for cameras affected by this particular problem; prophylactic replacement is not possible.

We thank you for your patience and for your loyalty to the Leica brand.

Source

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

I believe i have this problem. There is a small mark which has appeared on the upper left corner of the image sensor, which also reflects on the images.

How can i get the sensor replaced through this offer of replacement? I could not find any information int he leica members area site of the official leica website.

Thanks

Gautam Biswas

Excellent news. My M9 sensor was replaced back in April though which is a shame really as it seems now we have the cure.

Be interesting to know for how long Leica will replace sensors on affected cameras in the future and whether cameras that have had their sensor changed already with the old, affected sensor will be also covered too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just spoke to Leica NJ this morning about my M-E, which is due for sensor replacement end of September.  They were notified about the new sensors, but told by Wetzlar "We will let you know when to expect inventory", meaning they don't have the new parts in stock yet.

Excellent news. My M9 sensor was replaced back in April though which is a shame really as it seems now we have the cure.

Be interesting to know for how long Leica will replace sensors on affected cameras in the future and whether cameras that have had their sensor changed already with the old, affected sensor will be also covered too.

If your replacement sensor corrodes they will replace it again.

• Like 1

I don't think my M9 is impacted yet but it is reassuring to read that there is now a fix.

Hopefully colour rendering won't be impacted, or would raw converters be able to identify modified cameras and apply the right profile?

Don't worry, color rendition is almost the same. Leica asked me to test the new sensor and the test was positive. Look in the German Forum for details. I asked the admin for a translation, because my english is too bad.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/249568-leica-m9-korrosion-sensoraustausch-m9-m9-p-und-m-e-beginnt/?do=findComment&comment=2880512

Elmar

www.ElmarStreyl.de

Edited by elmars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so glad I waited. I am far from convinced I really need my M9, with an M4 for film, M8 for infra red, C112 for pocket and an M240 for everything else plus loads of other film cameras in various formats. I could/would not have sold it with the current blotchy sensor and I am sure this excellent news from Leica will increase both the saleability and value.