Leica M9 Corrosion - Sensor Replacement Starts Now!

LUF Admin

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 returned from Leica NJ – six months wait. This was the second time I had the sensor replaced. Gladly this time it came with the new one. Unfortunately, the camera returned with a big chunk of dust in the viewfinder. I'll have to send it away again eventually for cleaning that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was wondering if there is way to determine which sensor is present in the M9.  I've had the CCD replaced twice, first with the original that also showed signs of corrosion after 6 months and so again in April 2016 which should be with the newly developed sensor (and I was informed by leica that it was).

Problem is it looks like the corrosion is back, even on the newly developed sensor so I was hoping there was a way for the camera to report which sensor is fitted before I take it up with Leica direct.  Perhaps the second replacement was the old sensor too!

I was wondering if there is way to determine which sensor is present in the M9.  I've had the CCD replaced twice, first with the original that also showed signs of corrosion after 6 months and so again in April 2016 which should be with the newly developed sensor (and I was informed by leica that it was).

Problem is it looks like the corrosion is back, even on the newly developed sensor so I was hoping there was a way for the camera to report which sensor is fitted before I take it up with Leica direct.  Perhaps the second replacement was the old sensor too!

Take some photos of a white surface e.g. clean white bathroom tiles and post the images on the forum to obtain opinions as to whether the marks are due to corrosion … or dust / oil particles.

dunk 

Take some photos of a white surface e.g. clean white bathroom tiles and post the images on the forum to obtain opinions as to whether the marks are due to corrosion … or dust / oil particles.

dunk 

For the M9, I have found my Expodisc white balance device with the lens defocused, closed down and pointed at the sky is an easy way to detect a dirty or corroded M9 sensor. Two or three layers of uncrumpled tissue paper would probably work as well. I must get round to sending in my M9 for its second sensor (it was one of the early ones in Jan 2012 to suffer). I hope Leica still has some of the British Racing Green calf leather to recover it. 

Wilson

I preferred the rendering of the old sensor which was warmer.

I cannot compare these two as the sun was shining in a totally different direction. Anyway, if you want to be absolutely  sure make a camera profile for your postprocessing software.

Well its my turn now too. I will organise a pick up and she'll go back for a Rhee sensor, 25k actuationd at present

I've recently recovered with lizard embossed leather I wonder if they will cover with something similar ?

Certainly not Lizard embossed. Ostrich maybe...

Certainly not Lizard embossed. Ostrich maybe...

You may have to speak very nicely to Andrea!

I sent my M9 in for its first sensor replacement in 2012 when I had had it covered in embossed dark blue kid leather (it is steel grey model) and it looked lovely. Leica gave me a choice of their premium leathers to recover. I did not like their blue which was far too bright, so I went for the British Racing Green leather. It is very nice but sadly not as nice as the dark blue kid was. It needs to have the sensor done for a second time, so I assume they will recover with BRG leather again. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Look for the firmware version. If it is 1.204 You have the new sensor.

Elmar

Thanks Elmars, it is!

I'll drop it in to Leica here in Singapore and get their opinion if it's corrosion again - really hope not