33% failure rate with Leica S system

sortvitt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John you mean Wetzlar! I hope that there aren't a pile of lost deliveries at the door of the old now vacated factory

True, just so many years writing Solms, still not left my house as waiting on Wetzlar to send me the shipping details - Leica France is on holiday of course ;-)

john

• Like 1

This morning my Summicron-S motor died in the middle of autofocus in LiveView mode. Id been using it for ten minutes or so in LiveView. Second casualty after the S35. Off to Germany.

The repaired Summicron arrived on August 17, less than a month after I sent it in, although I haven't been home to use it yet. The repair was free of course.

I didn't push or make any special claims about urgency.

Well done Leica.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1

Alan.y,  You are a Leica S lens repair success story.  Leica could well be trying harder to improve their repair service, plus this years Photokina is aimed at "Professionals"...and associated Leica products.  I am sure the Leica reps at the convention will get an earful too about S repair service turnaround times. Congratulations on your repair.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Reporting failed AF with the 24mm S lens, about 6 months old. Off to the dealer next week.

Got a call today from Leica Store Wien that my lens is repaired, ready to be collected. Exactly two weeks after I dropped it off there. Not bad.

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It must be very frustrating to have problems with any expensive equipment. It is a common trend in the forum for problems to be reported but people (the silent majority we hope) who don't experience any problems do not post that comment often.

Here is my experience with the S system so far. I bought a used S2 body from its second owner. It was reported to have 1500 actuations or so before I got it. There is no way to know that for certain of course. It was unmarked and contact with Customer service resulted in their attempt to contact the first registered owner for me so I could register it. It is now registered in my name. I bought two lenses new from authorised Leica sellers. Those are the 70CS and the APO Macro 120. I have now made about 14000 exposures over the last year with this equipment according to Lightroom.

i have not encountered a single problem with camera nor either lens.

Just to update this one year later. I made about 15000 exposures with my S2 and now past 12000 with my S (Typ 007) so far, nearly all with those two lenses. I still have not encountered any problems with either camera body or either lens. I just got the SL for situations where the S is not as versatile and as soon as I can get the adapter I am looking forward to using these two lenses with that as well.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1