MGR Production - zoomable viewfinder magnifier

mirekti

It looks a good idea although maybe rather expensive as an accessory. I'd like to try one though so thank you for the link.

It's 75€. Which is what 650$Hkd translates to. Very cheap IMO. Much cheaper than the fixed magnification Leica models.
  • Like 3

The problem of the magnification finders (I have an unused HK 1,35x, and tried a Leica 1,25x) is that they eat away contrast... I would be very surprised if a variable one does better, in this sense, than the fixed ones...

But is not costly and worth a try... let's wait for your impressions.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one ordered, and will write in as soon as I've received it and used it.  Seems like a really good idea if one uses both 50mm and wider lenses; that's the problem with the Leica magnifiers -- great for a normal lens, but for a 35 or wider, not so much.

One question that comes to mind is whether this is feasible for use with eyeglasses.   Two issues I see are whether you can see the whole frame -- or at least most of it, and whether the outer edge is metal (it looks like it from the photos on the site).  The latter issue is a problem re scratching lenses.  So would those of you who have purchased kindly report on these after you have had a chance to play with it?   Thanks.

I received this item today, it is not a zoomable magnifier, it is simply a diopter correction that moves from -2.5 to +2.5.  For me it focuses well at 1.6x (+2.5) but is so horribly blurry at 1.1x to be non-usable.  I am in discussion with the Hong Kong merchant who has diagnosed my vision as being the issue....I am not sure many people can focus with a -2.5 diopter correction in front of their eyes, that is a huge amount.  At one time or another I have used every Leica magnifier, the two finders from Japan 1.15x and 1.35x and have never had an issue with diopters save for occasional indoor use in low light.  

It does have two nicely designed eyecups, one that sits flush with the eyepiece and the other an extended version.  It isn't Leica quality but does have a nice finish and is easy to place on and off the viewfinder.   It does not work with 1/2 cases that hug the viewfinder closely, it requires a more open case such as Leica's M8/M9 (1/2) case and their M240 (1/2) case.  

Ok I've been using it for several weeks it works well the inherit issue of the OEM problem of the view finder opening being so tiny weenie to start with. It's always been like looking through a peep hole. The magnifier works great, however it constantly moves adjustment so besides hoisting the camera and pushing the shutter half way to engage power you also have to adjust the magnifier before you bring to your eye. That's if it's been bumping on your side hanging while waking. But the view is better than the Leica slightly larger image circle but still confined, imho. Does it have as good of clarity as the Leica I guess so, but who cares? Maybe in 1905 people had smaller eyes!

Ok I've been using it for several weeks it works well the inherit issue of the OEM problem of the view finder opening being so tiny weenie to start with. It's always been like looking through a peep hole. The magnifier works great, however it constantly moves adjustment so besides hoisting the camera and pushing the shutter half way to engage power you also have to adjust the magnifier before you bring to your eye. That's if it's been bumping on your side hanging while waking. But the view is better than the Leica slightly larger image circle but still confined, imho. Does it have as good of clarity as the Leica I guess so, but who cares? Maybe in 1905 people had smaller eyes!

Have you tried using this device with eyeglasses?  What is your opinion of the suitability of this device for someone with aging eyesight (along with everything else aging I suppose :) ) ?

I ordered one of these from MGR and I got it the other day.

Does what it says on the box, which is labelled Bresson BTW

It is rather deep.

For £50, it was worth a punt.

My idea was that if I was swapping between 90mm & 35mm I wouldn't need to remove it, just zoom out.

I does feel nicely made.

The zoom is quite stiff so doesn't move it nudged when putting in or out of a bag.

No problem with glasses

Edited by terrycym

• 3 months later...

Sorry for being a bit thick about the price. When I saw $650 I thought that was USD not HKD. There is a huge difference! It works out as under GBP 57.

Anyway, I have ordered one and will report back once it arrives and I have tested it.

Having promised to report back after it had arrived and testing, here is my summary:

Delivery from Hong Kong took a long time ... the best part of a month. That may have been caused by delays in customs.

It sticks out about 2 cm. The viewfinder magnification is easy to control and confirmed that I need 1.5 magnification.

Vision is slightly darker through the viewfinder and therefore focussing in bad light is made worse. In good light it works well and makes focussing easier.

In summary, I much prefer a Leica diopter. I'll probably sell the MGR device on Ebay to recoup some of the cost.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My MGR Type J arrived today.  It is not a zoomable magnifier.  It is a diopter adjustment that fits over the view finder. The positive diopter adjustment was not adequate for my purposes as I need a larger adjustment of about +2.0 diopter. They advertise it as going to +2.5 diopter but mine did not. It may be that I should have bought the Type Y product. To be clear, Leica makes a 1.25 magnifier for the M viewfinder which is diopter neutral. One could screw the MGR product into it and have 1.25 magnifier with an adjustable diopter tool. 

The eyepiece on that magnifier looks kinda big.

I'm asking myself, if this could be a solution for glasses-wearer:

On the 0.72 viewfinder on my M6 classic i can't see the whole 35mm framelines because of my glasses.

If i used the mgr magnifier and set it to 1.0 x magnification - would i be able to see the 35mm framelines (or see "more" in the viewfinder)?

I don't want any magnification (positive or negative), i just want to see more of the frame.

I know, that i could use a 0.85 x magnifier or a M6TTL with the 0.58 viewfinder, but i really like the super easy focusing with the 0.72 viewfinder.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Leica-land  ;)

The eyepiece on that magnifier looks kinda big.

I'm asking myself, if this could be a solution for glasses-wearer:

On the 0.72 viewfinder on my M6 classic i can't see the whole 35mm framelines because of my glasses.

If i used the mgr magnifier and set it to 1.0 x magnification - would i be able to see the 35mm framelines (or see "more" in the viewfinder)?

I don't want any magnification (positive or negative), i just want to see more of the frame.

I know, that i could use a 0.85 x magnifier or a M6TTL with the 0.58 viewfinder, but i really like the super easy focusing with the 0.72 viewfinder.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Leica-land  ;)

The MGR diopter adjustment eyepiece is not a magnifier so I do not think it will not help you. It may help you to shoot without your eyeglasses.