Darn! Ruined a whole roll of film today because my reel skills suck.

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using a changing tent is a huge improvement over a bag. Adorama do a really good one for around £35.

I also insert the leader into the reel before putting it into the tent. Once it's past the little ratchet balls on the reel I don't even bother to pull the film out as I go, I just use the ratcheting motion to pull out the film from the canister for me. This stops any twists or creases etc.

You can get a feel for when you are close to the end of the rewinding of a film. It pops out of the tulip and you can feel it, then you just wind a tiny bit more and open the camera - then no need to fish for the leader.

More simplicity and rhythm to the process makes it all so much more enjoyable.

Edited by Fairkid

• 1 month later...

Something that has worked for me is to load the reel under a tap or in water. You can't do that in a changing bag, of course! but if you are desperate - perhaps you are working in humid conditions - the film will go in easily. And although absolute darkness is best, if you are quick about it you can load at night in a dark corner. 

But I don't suppose there is a reader of this site who won't have sympathy with you in these situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the plastic auto loading reels in high school, but in college we were taught to use the metal reels. Once you got used to them they were fine. I did botch a couple rolls, but afterwards I learned what to "feel" for and start over if there was a problem.  Practice with your ruined film. I have these same metal reels in my home now, but I find it even more challenging using the metal reels for 120. I need more practice with those, but I don't shoot 120 often (nor 35mm anymore, sadly - need to change that)