Strange Flare/Light Leak/Flashed Film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe someone can help with this anomaly. In two images from my first roll with the M6 (with a 35mm Summicron asph), there is a weird thing that happened which looks kind of like a gate flare. Anybody know what could have caused this? It's particularly prevalent in the first image, there was a bright HMI light to my right (I was on a film set) but I remember it was mostly blocked by a flag.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Can't it have been a fault during developing the film?

That's what seems most likely. It's odd though, as these weren't sequential images. I found one more image, albeit out of focus, on that roll with the same anomaly...you can see it at the top of the white bounce card.

Edited by Tony Mac

Yes a light leak. Where did you buy your camera? Dealer? If so return it for a repair or refund and get another one. 

I bought it from a camera shop, not sure if they were a Leica dealer though. I'll contact them as they do have a service department.

Is it strange that it only happens on a few pictures out of the roll?

I had the exact same light leak issue on a single frame from my last roll of film that I put through my M4-P. It happened at a point where I changed lenses. I also have an M6, and noted in the camera manual, that Leica suggest...

"When the camera is loaded with film, change the lens in the shade of your body, as direct sunlight may otherwise penetrate the shutter."

I know now I didn't do this, and am now waiting for my test film to be processed, to see if I have a fault with the camera, or if it was light penetration due to the above.

I had the exact same light leak issue on a single frame from my last roll of film that I put through my M4-P. It happened at a point where I changed lenses. I also have an M6, and noted in the camera manual, that Leica suggest...

"When the camera is loaded with film, change the lens in the shade of your body, as direct sunlight may otherwise penetrate the shutter."

I know now I didn't do this, and am now waiting for my test film to be processed, to see if I have a fault with the camera, or if it was light penetration due to the above.

That could have affected my shots as well...hmm. I'll wait for my other rolls to be developed and see if the same light leak comes up. Then I'll know it's the lens swap thing, I was swapping for my friend's 50mm at times.

Hi Tony, I've just had my test film processed, and I can confirm that in my case the light leak is being caused by changing lenses in bright sunny/direct light conditions. Now this may be due to an underlying issue with the shutter curtain on my M4-P, but knowing this, and how to avoid these light leaks, will allow me to continue shooting with confidence.

I should point out, that I've now shot 10 rolls of film with my M4-P, with just 1 shot exhibiting this light leak, and that was whilst changing the lens in bright sunny conditions.

• Like 1

Maybe someone can help with this anomaly. In two images from my first roll with the M6 (with a 35mm Summicron asph), there is a weird thing that happened which looks kind of like a gate flare. Anybody know what could have caused this? It's particularly prevalent in the first image, there was a bright HMI light to my right (I was on a film set) but I remember it was mostly blocked by a flag.

attachicon.gifmac_t_20150826_000008190012.jpg

attachicon.gifmac_t_20150826_000008190027.jpg

What is the speed exposure  of the first photo , Tony ?

Henry

What is the speed exposure  of the first photo , Tony ?

Henry

I think the photo of the two guys sitting on the couch was probably shot somewhere around 1/60th @ f/2.8 on Fuji 400H. That's just a good guess based on the exposure of the Red camera I was using. Could certain shutter speeds cause this issue?

I think the photo of the two guys sitting on the couch was probably shot somewhere around 1/60th @ f/2.8 on Fuji 400H. That's just a good guess based on the exposure of the Red camera I was using. Could certain shutter speeds cause this issue?

Tony, in your case 2 bands (on first photo) , the 2 anti-veils strips (up and down) located on the rear of the

camera black room falls off  with time and allows light to pass.

You can realize looking from the back of the camera, shutter and curtain lifted open to B, with a strong lamp.

The anti-veils seal the slight shutter.The veil is proportional to the time the camera is exposed to light (depends

speed exposure).  Must therefore be revised the camera.

A curtain brake problem gives a veil oriented in the other direction  ie vertical band rather not horizontal.

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

If the rebates (edges) of the film are affected, then presumably it will be a leak rather than a shutter problem.  I had a lot of problems with an intermittent light-leak with my first IIIg.  The dealer tried a number of times to repair it before giving up and replacing the camera.

Tony, in your case 2 bands (on first photo) , the 2 anti-veils strips (up and down) located on the rear of the

camera black room falls off  with time and allows light to pass.

You can realize looking from the back of the camera, shutter and curtain lifted open to B, with a strong lamp.

The anti-veils seal the slight shutter.The veil is proportional to the time the camera is exposed to light (depends

speed exposure).  Must therefore be revised the camera.

A curtain brake problem gives a veil oriented in the other direction  ie vertical band rather not horizontal.

Best

Henry

I tried exactly as you described, shining a bright torch behind while holding the camera open to bulb, but couldn't see the light pass through. I tried both ways, light from behind the camera and light through the lens port. 

I do see the two anti-veils seals you're talking about though! Perhaps I will get these replaced for good measure, even though this problem seems intermittent. 

Example of 2 images, anti veil down defective and horizontal band at the top of your image
The best is to see the after sales Leica for your M6 .

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Example of 2 images, anti veil down defective and band at the top of your image

The best is to see the after sales Leica for your M6 .

attachicon.gifstrip antiveil 1.jpg attachicon.gifstrip anti veil2.jpg

Rg

Henry

Curtain brake defective >  vertical band

Keith curtain brake ?

Regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry