help - which combo would you use?

wpm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going on vacation to England next week with my wife. 

I'm taking my M240 and am trying to sort out which of too many lenses to take. I plan on a 35 and 50 but which ones?

I'm leaning towards a 50 APO and 35 lux asph, but here are my choices.

50's:

APO

summicron v.3

summilux asph

summarit 2.5

dual range

35's are:

summaron 2.8

zeiss c-biogon

summicron asph

summilux asph

I can see the advantage of 1.4 even though I'm not worried about ISO issues for lower light levels. I also see the advantage of going smaller and lighter at the cost of 2.8 max. aperture.

I am also taking a VC 21 f4 for churches and HMS Victory. 

The equipment is insured, so I'm not so worried about taking really expensive glass. Just interested in everyone's opinions about

which combination and why. I appreciate all thoughts in advance. 

If I went on a trip with only a 35 and a 50 then I wouldn't see size and weight as much of an issue and would solely select lenses on IQ and which ones I enjoy using most. The Summilux's looks like a nice pair but I have never used the 50 APO so maybe it's a better choice-

You definitely need a 35 and a 50. HMS Victory is quite cramped in some of the decks so a 21 is a good idea. Except for stained glass and vaulted ceilings, English churches are quite stark inside and have been since the Reformation. The exteriors tend to be more interesting, sometimes just certain features; such as towers, steeples, entrances, windows, etc. If you go to Salisbury give inside of the cathedral a miss, but go into the centre of town and visit the interior of St Thomas's church. There is a mediaeval doom painting in there that had been hidden by whitewash during the reformation. It was rediscovered not long ago by decorators.

If you are planning to visit towns and cities then the 35 will be very useful. In rural areas a 90 can be handy.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the advice. Jeff, no offense taken. Yes, there was a reason for each lens which I won't go in to.

Except that the rigid and summaron were bought at a good price and I'm amazed how good they are, especially in B&W.

As for the others, I just am in a position to have them and to play with. When I come in for a landing on preferences, I'll probably

thin the herd as it were. I just bought the 50 AA and am very impressed. Yes, it's a huge chunk of money but it rocks.

Whether I'll keep it long term, we'll see.

As for England, I'm still debating. Really, I couldn't go wrong with any of them. Just curious as to what others

might choose. Pkilmister, thanks for the tip about the 90. Thanks again, all.