Problems with the new Epson SC-P800: unable to print

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is a very nice paper, from a reputable manufacturer, Hahnemühle Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, with a weight of 320 gr/m2.

Maybe coincidence, but I found thick Hahnemuhle papers (not the one you cite) to be among the most problematic feed-wise, prompting me to resort to the front feed.  I now use Canson and other papers (not just because of feed) instead of Hahnemuhle, without problem.  As noted, however, these are single sheets, not roll.

Jeff

Maybe coincidence, but I found thick Hahnemuhle papers (not the one you cite) to be among the most problematic feed-wise, prompting me to resort to the front feed.  I now use Canson and other papers (not just because of feed) instead of Hahnemuhle, without problem.  As noted, however, these are single sheets, not roll.

Jeff

I agree with you, Jeff. With the 3880 I do feed this brand from the front. And that after 'forcing' the sheet's corners to become flat. When printing starts, I watch with a flashlight that the paper comes through the last gap as it should, helping it to do that with a cardboard strip if necessity arises, to avoid a jamming.

I cross my fingers, but it seems the problem is solved.

I've adjusted the head gap to 'wide' ('standard' is the default) and the paper thickness to '4' (by default it is '3').

But I think the solution has to do with letting the paper curl around itself when it comes out from the printer, instead of extending it.

When it curls around itself no belly appears in the center, quite the opposite, the paper remains almost flat, with a slight concavity on its center part.

I suspect that such a belly, that appeared when I extended the paper while it was coming out from the printer, was responsible for these marks.

Thank you for your comments!

Cheers from Barcelona,

Manolo

NB All this mess is nice once it has been solved! It is as it was in those days in the darkroom, where many things needed a great amount of improvising...

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

NB All this mess is nice once it has been solved! It is as it was in those days in the darkroom, where many things needed a great amount of improvising...

Sure, and understanding your gear helps.  The user manual....likewise for the 3880, which I didn't realize you already use....offers lots of information on simple settings like platen gap and many other options.  There are also many online resources that offer useful tips.....like this old FAQ on the 3800.... http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html  

I don't follow Chan's advice on many things, but it's helpful to learn how others use these machines, and then decide whether any recommendations fit one's own workflow.

Jeff