Problems with the new Epson SC-P800: unable to print

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having problems when trying to print with the new Epson SC-P800.

After setting it up, the only that comes out, when trying to print an A4 image, is a small printed strip of only 2 cm wide . Then the printer enters in a busy mode, and nothing more happens.

The program: Lightroom 6.

I do have the Yosemite 10.10.5 OS installed in my Mac, and of course every driver etc, as it should be.

BTW, trying to print from Word also failed...

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers from Barcelona,

Manolo

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

BTW, the roll paper unit is fantastic!

Is the roll paper ready available and what is the ball park price of a roll of Fine Art Paper ????

Is the roll paper ready available and what is the ball park price of a roll of Fine Art Paper ????

I bought mine from www.wexphotographic.com and a 30.5 metre roll of Epson lustre was in the deal at £205 or there abouts. Paper cost vary if the role as does cut paper. The role I recieved in the deal retail about £70. 

I got a similar deal on paper and warranty when I pre ordered my printer .

Very impressive printer.

BrianP

Just for the record: I had yesterday some panic moments, because when I was feeding the roll paper's beginning into the slot for the very first time, the machine did not actuate automatically grabbing it, as it should.

I tried and tried, and nothing happened. Then I introduced the paper really deep into the slot, and voila, it worked.

Just for the record: I had yesterday some panic moments, because when I was feeding the roll paper's beginning into the slot for the very first time, the machine did not actuate automatically grabbing it, as it should.

I tried and tried, and nothing happened. Then I introduced the paper really deep into the slot, and voila, it worked.

I have found this review not just to give pre order info but for easy to follow instructions and general info.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson-sc_p800_review

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem solved: the USB cable was not working properly. Strange, because it did fine last week with the 3880 machine...

BTW, the roll paper unit is fantastic!

I have had the same problem in the past on USB cables that are not disconnected frequently.I always use the gold plated ones now that don't oxidise/tarnish and only cost a little more.

BrianP

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Wallpaper scissors work well. 

BrianP

Really Brian........I was looking at one of these Rotatrim 24 thingies that cost an arm and a leg......wall paper scissors sound great :)

Really Brian........I was looking at one of these Rotatrim 24 thingies that cost an arm and a leg......wall paper scissors sound great :)

Mine cost me £7.00 and do a perfect job. I do have a Rotatrim but for this particular job I find scissors with long blades are perfect.

Amazon or EBay have them.

Brianp

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So, after nearly 2 rolls of 15 m went through the new printer, I am able to report a bit on it.

Using the printer (paper feeding, settings, etc) is easy, and the results are beautiful,

but...

I am having some problems with marks, damages, abrasions (don't know how to name those blemishes) that,

1. appear sometimes, not continuously,

2. appear more or less on the center,

3. are groups of parallel white lines, more or less 2 fingers wide, in the direction of the head's movement (i.e. parallel to the short dimension of the paper),

4. are damages on the paper's surface

5. are not ink marks.

Following the indications of a technician, I adjusted the paper feeding on the driver prior to printing, but THAT happened again...

I suspect THAT has to do with the paper flexing when coming out. Perhaps this flexing causes that the paper loses its flatness, developing a sort of slight convexity when still on the machine's inside. The tray where the paper rests when coming out must be open, but without 'telescoping' it, says the Manual, and in this way I use it.

On the 2 attached photos the blemishes are in the center. I took these photos looking at the respective prints so that the surface was not parallel to the camera, but oblique to it. Otherwise it would be impossible to see the blemishes.

Your help will be much appreciated.

I am sending this to the EPSON service as well.

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

Who is the manufacturer of the paper you are using .

I assume that the paper is in perfect condition. Paper on the role if not in perfect condition can give problems .

BrianP

Does this happen with multiple papers?   And at all stages of using the roll....beginning to end?  While you might have a problem specific to your printer, some papers are more finicky to feed than others (thickness, curl, texture, etc).  Moreover, feed mechanisms are often an Achilles heel for printers, not just Epson.

I prefer to use single sheets rather than rolls, since it affords the opportunity to use one of 3 different feed options (on my 3800, it's top, back and front....other machines vary, but are conceptually similar).  When I have a tough paper, the solution is usually the front feed, which keeps the paper flat throughout its travel.   I also typically adjust the platen gap to further facilitate easy feed and to avoid head strikes, etc.

I assume you can likewise adjust the platen gap using roll paper....have you tried that, as well as explore other print settings?  

Since you say the marks are not ink, I suspect you might have another issue, but this is my experience.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have just had another look at the pic showing your damaged role. It looks very thick. Is it a quality paper ? It looks more like a multi laminate paper almost like a thin card board.

If that is the case I would not expect it too print.

BrianP

It is a very nice paper, from a reputable manufacturer, Hahnemühle Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, with a weight of 320 gr/m2.

Thank you for your comment, Jeff S, about the platen gap, and thank you Brian P for your question. Tomorrow I will be printing again. Let's see what will happen...