Spot Focus Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had asked this but it is buried in another post that had 260 views but no response, so I am asking directly.

Do others have trouble using AF when reasonably close to the subjet and find the focus box even when set to spot/single point focus is too large and focuses on the wrong thing?? Or is this is when one must manual focus.

I compared it to my Nikon D750 with the 28mm f/1.8 lens and the Nikon spot focus box is much, much smaller.

Is there a way to narrow the Q's spot focus for more precise AF???

Thanks in andance for your assistance. This

As many on this forum know, I have been super critical of AF issues and I can honestly say, this camera has the fewest issues of any I have encountered and that is a large list.  While it isn't 100% it is darn close and you just have to look at what is in or near the box.  If you have a high contrast object that is closer to the camera than your desired target and it is within or touching the box it can be fooled, though not all of the time.  There is no setting to change the box size.  You could play with either touch focus or face detect, if a face is what you are focusing on and either or both would likely resolve your problem for you.

John....Thank you. That is what I assumed that the box size was not adjustable. I agree the AF is very superior in speed and accuracy. I guess the is the time for me to get better with manual focus. This is my first Leica and I am very impressed indeed. I have a closet of Nikon gear that is very neverous. But with my 74 year old eyes, I msut have AF and Nikon's is right up there withy the proper lens/body configuration....Mike

i have noticed that when i shoot wide open close to the subject  the DOF is razor thin and things appear out of focus which may merely be out of the DOF.....after a day shooting at the local botanical garden I figured that out and many shots i went with a smaller aperture ......

shooting wide open with anything more than 10 ft away does not have that issue

As many on this forum know, I have been super critical of AF issues and I can honestly say, this camera has the fewest issues of any I have encountered and that is a large list.  While it isn't 100% it is darn close and you just have to look at what is in or near the box.  If you have a high contrast object that is closer to the camera than your desired target and it is within or touching the box it can be fooled, though not all of the time.  There is no setting to change the box size.  You could play with either touch focus or face detect, if a face is what you are focusing on and either or both would likely resolve your problem for you.

Sorry for embedding your entire quote but I have not played with the AF but tend to agree with you . . . the AF works quite well. With regards to the 'BOX', and again, I have not played with this but it would be easy to do so, are we to assume that if SPOT that the 'sweet spot' is in the center of the box? Seems like I may have to experiment, perhaps someone has already?

Edited by John Palamaro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The disadvantage of a larger box is that as the subject is further away, there is the possibility of more high contrast objects residing within the box and having the camera select a different object than the one you had intended.  With MF, your brain is the decider about what is and isn't intended to be in focus whereas the computer chip makes a guess and sometimes it is wrong.  Fortunately, very seldom in my experience.  For example tonight I was at a cocktail party event and tried to take a selfie of my wife and I with a beautiful sunset behind us.  Unfortunately, we were out of focus but others further away and the sun were in focus.  I was shooting at f2.8 as it was getting dark. I blame this miss on me, not the camera.

Don't get me wrong, the AF on the Q is stunning, fast and for most cases (99%) - spot on. The size of the box however does pose certain issues. Trying to focus on a door handle at f1.7 from 40 feet did not work while MF worked quickly and easily. i suspect having the option for a tiny box would easily solve this for the remaining 1%. Definitely not a show stopper as the MF is fantastic and more fun to use.