Leica T? Or Not...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So my wife is due with our first on Sept. 21st and I am thinking of getting a new camera before the birth, to document the birth and our new baby girl!

I had a Leica D-Lux a while ago, and more recently a Leica X1 which I sold about 3 years ago. Was an amazingly beautiful camera but with some flaws I just couldn't overcome, mainly being the slow interface, lack of EVF option, terribly slow AF, and fixed lens.

I hated that I couldn't just snap a quick portrait on vacation if I wanted, was too hard to just take a basic shot.

I am not a camera guru, but I do dream of owning an M someday and am a technical guy.

The thing I like about the T is that it's a great sensor in a beautiful form, AND if I invest in M lenses for it, I can use them in the future if I am luck enough to get an M body.

My biggest concerns are the same as those from my X1 days. Primarily finicky software, slow focus, and that a new, better version could come out any day now!

So, before investing close to 4k just for a body and lens, I would love to hear the opinions of some of the gurus on this board.

Thanks!

Speaking for myself here, as a new T owner, I love the camera and it's my favourite compact Leica.

My main system is the analog M and I have shot and owned cameras from the D-Lux line, the X line and now the T as well. And I have to say the T with a M lens is the most fun to shoot.

The X has great IQ and the Typ 113 felt kind of like a really light mini M but was kind of "meh" when coming to pure joy of shooting. The D-Lux always delivered great quality over many years. Now the T with a M lens feels really high quality, has the heavier quality feel of a M (which I appreciate more than a lighter camera) and the mix of manual focussing (I don't use a EVF btw) with the pleasure of the touchscreen and it's fluent and quick navigation is just amazing. 

Speaking for myself here, as a new T owner, I love the camera and it's my favourite compact Leica.

My main system is the analog M and I have shot and owned cameras from the D-Lux line, the X line and now the T as well. And I have to say the T with a M lens is the most fun to shoot.

The X has great IQ and the Typ 113 felt kind of like a really light mini M but was kind of "meh" when coming to pure joy of shooting. The D-Lux always delivered great quality over many years. Now the T with a M lens feels really high quality, has the heavier quality feel of a M (which I appreciate more than a lighter camera) and the mix of manual focussing (I don't use a EVF btw) with the pleasure of the touchscreen and it's fluent and quick navigation is just amazing. 

Thanks for the great reply and info McGirton! Which lens do you use?

I would most likely hold off on the EVF as well at first, and purchase if I found I missed it.

Also, any "fear" that in 6 months a new version will blow this one away? This is one of the big holdups of digital is that the tech evolves so quickly! With film, a great camera from 1936 could take as good photos as a camera form 1996!

• Like 1

You can take lovely shots with the T.  Just remember with M lenses it's all manual so if you want to capture something quickly, this might not be the best choice.  Maybe not even with autofocus T lenses.  Don't get me wrong though as I LOVE this camera but most consider it to be a slow camera.  If you go with it, practice a lot so you can get fast with it.  That's my two cents.

You can take lovely shots with the T.  Just remember with M lenses it's all manual so if you want to capture something quickly, this might not be the best choice.  Maybe not even with autofocus T lenses.  Don't get me wrong though as I LOVE this camera but most consider it to be a slow camera.  If you go with it, practice a lot so you can get fast with it.  That's my two cents.

I would definitely get a T lens first and then try an M at some point once I am confident with the camera.

I have a nice little Sony RX100 M2 which is a nice pocketable point and shoot for easy shooting.

But still if I invest $4k in a Leica I want to make sure I can still just pull it out and capture great shots.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did take a look at the Q as well.

I figure the ! at $4,300 and the T with a lens is about the same. Yes the Q has a full-frame sensor and a built in viewfinder which is obviously nice, but the fixed lens really bugs me because $1700 of the T cost will be something (the lens) that I can use forever basically.

As far as trading up in the future, I guess the Q will retain value better maybe?

• Like 1

I would definitely get a T lens first and then try an M at some point once I am confident with the camera.

I have a nice little Sony RX100 M2 which is a nice pocketable point and shoot for easy shooting.

But still if I invest $4k in a Leica I want to make sure I can still just pull it out and capture great shots.

Agree that a T lens would probably be best to start out.  Especially if not getting the EVF.  All Leicas, or any camera shot manually, you have to be really good to do it quickly.  Since less than a month until the baby is due......I have this picture in my head of a not so happy mother waiting for her husband to figure out the camera.....and then the frowns.  Believe me, I grew up with a Dad who would take forever to take a photo and the disappointment and impatience came thru on photos you wish you could forget.

Thanks for the great reply and info McGirton! Which lens do you use?

I would most likely hold off on the EVF as well at first, and purchase if I found I missed it.

Also, any "fear" that in 6 months a new version will blow this one away? This is one of the big holdups of digital is that the tech evolves so quickly! With film, a great camera from 1936 could take as good photos as a camera form 1996!

I have a 50mm Summicron on it right now. The quality is breathtaking, which is to be expected from that lens. I am getting a 35mm Summicron for it so I will roughly be back at 50mm cropping again.

About the fear of a new version getting released, just don't worry about it. People still shoot with the oldest digital Leicas and get great results. There will always be something new on the horizon but why worry about it. The M8 is closing in on 10 years of age and is still a great camera. I kept my D-Lux 4 as my only digital camera for over 6 years and never felt like replacing it. 

I like the suggestion to get a Q instead!!!  You can always trade it in for a T or an M when timing is not critical.

You think the Q is easier to use then?

I had the same issue of frowns with my Leica X1. On our honeymoon in Australia/NZ my wife got really frustrated when it would take forever for me to set up shots and how I couldn't hand the camera to a stranger to take a photo of us.

You think the Q is easier to use then?

I had the same issue of frowns with my Leica X1. On our honeymoon in Australia/NZ my wife got really frustrated when it would take forever for me to set up shots and how I couldn't hand the camera to a stranger to take a photo of us.

For the application, yes.  All reports are good and remember it is full frame so you can always crop and still get as high IQ as the T.  I would do that.

Wow alot of people suggesting the Q, didn't expect that but appreciate the honesty!

The fixed lens still makes me sad thought.

How is the AF on the Q?

Haven't used it myself so should defer to the Q subject forum.  All reports are is quick, accurate, and fast.  I am thinking of getting a Q eventually just for those tyoe of situations.  Currently shoot with the T and M but strictly manual.  It is expensive, I will grant you that, for a fixed lens camera.  OK.....just thought of this!!!!!!  You might not find one in time.  There is a long wait.  Sorry!!!!

Haven't used it myself so should defer to the Q subject forum.  All reports are is quick, accurate, and fast.  I am thinking of getting a Q eventually just for those tyoe of situations.  Currently shoot with the T and M but strictly manual.  It is expensive, I will grant you that, for a fixed lens camera.  OK.....just thought of this!!!!!!  You might not find one in time.  There is a long wait.  Sorry!!!!

I can always tell my wife to hold her in a little longer!

That fixed lens I think is my only holdup of the Q.

Not that I am going to be buying 5 M lenses for any camera, or I will be broke. 

BUT it just seems like alot of the $4500 price tag is going to the lens, that will have to be retired with the camera when the tech becomes outdated.

All of this is true... but it will meet or exceed all your expectations for a camera now, plus anyone can use it and the AF by all reports is second to none.

As far as thinking the lens will be useless once the camera technology becomes outdated, just remember that there are many people out there who just have one lens, or one lens 90% of the time and who have been using their cameras for years... 

The T will need a viewfinder, particularly if you want to end up with a collection of M and T lenses and I suspect that the Q has made such an impact on the market, it will likely hold value very well... Selling the T and lenses will cost a bit I would think... Making the Q actually less likely to depreciate as much.

Unless of course a interchangeable lens Q hits the shelves within the next year or so. Then all bets would be off. I'm not sure that would happen though. Far more likely to have a small zoom... but it won't be that small and will probably end up being used at either extreme anyway. In which case you could just crop the 28mm images.

I'd go for the Q. Everyone around you will be able to use it, the images will be stunning and you will be able to pass it on to your wife when you buy the M, unless she falls in love with the Q so much SHE buys an M first! :D

Point is, you could always end up waiting for the next camera. 

Have a look at the Q image thread. 

Edited by Bill Livingston